Biological benefits of ultra-high dose rate flash radiotherapy: sleeping beauty awoken
AffiliationLaboratory of Radiation Oncology/CHUV, Lausanne University Hospital and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFLASH radiotherapy (FLASH-RT) is a technology that could modify the way radiotherapy is delivered in the future. This technique involves the ultra-fast delivery of radiotherapy at dose rates several orders of magnitude higher than those currently used in routine clinical practice. This very short time of exposure leads to the striking observation of relative protection of normal tissues that are exposed to FLASH-RT as compared with conventional dose rate radiotherapy. Here we summarise the current knowledge about the FLASH effect and provide a synthesis of the observations that have been reported on various experimental animal models (mice, zebrafish, pig, cats), various organs (lung, gut, brain, skin) and by various groups across 40 years of research. We also propose possible mechanisms for the FLASH effect, as well as possible paths for clinical application.
CitationVozenin MC, Hendry JH, Limoli CL. Biological benefits of ultra-high dose rate flash radiotherapy: sleeping beauty awoken . Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2019.
- The Advantage of FLASH Radiotherapy Confirmed in Mini-pig and Cat-cancer Patients.
- Authors: Vozenin MC, De Fornel P, Petersson K, Favaudon V, Jaccard M, Germond JF, Petit B, Burki M, Ferrand G, Patin D, Bouchaab H, Ozsahin M, Bochud F, Bailat C, Devauchelle P, Bourhis J
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 1
- [A New Generation of Radiotherapy Technology-Flash Radiotherapy].
- Authors: Wu C, Song J, Yin B, Zhang G, Lin H, Fang C, Yang T, Qu B, Xu S
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 8
- FLASH Radiotherapy: Current Knowledge and Future Insights Using Proton-Beam Therapy.
- Authors: Hughes JR, Parsons JL
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 5
- Physics and biology of ultrahigh dose-rate (FLASH) radiotherapy: a topical review.
- Authors: Esplen N, Mendonca MS, Bazalova-Carter M
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 4
- [Flash radiotheray at very high dose-rate: A brief account of the current situation].
- Authors: Favaudon V
- Issue date: 2019 Oct