Biliary tract cancers: current knowledge, clinical candidates and future challenges
AffiliationFaculty of Biomedicine and Health Sciences, Division of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9NT, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBiliary tract cancers (BTCs) are rare with poor prognosis. Due to the advent of genomic sequencing, new data have emerged regarding the molecular makeup of this disease. To add to the complexity, various subtypes also harbor a varied genetic composition. The commonly mutated genes associated with this cancer are KRAS, EGFR, IDH, FGFR and BAP1. Various clinical studies are looking at targeting these genetic mutations. Another therapeutic area of note is the potential for the use of immunotherapy in patients with BTC. Although BTC may be a result of chronic inflammation, this does not necessarily translate into increased immunogenicity. This literature review discusses the diverse molecular and immune-related pathways in patients with BTC and their potential therapeutic implications.
CitationTariq NU, McNamara MG, Valle JW. Biliary tract cancers: current knowledge, clinical candidates and future challenges. Cancer Manag Res. 2019; 11:2623-42.
JournalCancer Management and Research
- Genomic characterization of biliary tract cancers identifies driver genes and predisposing mutations.
- Authors: Wardell CP, Fujita M, Yamada T, Simbolo M, Fassan M, Karlic R, Polak P, Kim J, Hatanaka Y, Maejima K, Lawlor RT, Nakanishi Y, Mitsuhashi T, Fujimoto A, Furuta M, Ruzzenente A, Conci S, Oosawa A, Sasaki-Oku A, Nakano K, Tanaka H, Yamamoto Y, Michiaki K, Kawakami Y, Aikata H, Ueno M, Hayami S, Gotoh K, Ariizumi SI, Yamamoto M, Yamaue H, Chayama K, Miyano S, Getz G, Scarpa A, Hirano S, Nakamura T, Nakagawa H
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Current biologics for treatment of biliary tract cancers.
- Authors: Zhao DY, Lim KH
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Nivolumab: an investigational agent for the treatment of biliary tract cancer.
- Authors: Di Federico A, Rizzo A, Ricci AD, Frega G, Palloni A, Tavolari S, Brandi G
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 23
- Brain Metastases from Biliary Tract Cancers: A Case Series and Review of the Literature in the Genomic Era.
- Authors: D'Andrea MR, Gill CM, Umphlett M, Tsankova NM, Fowkes M, Bederson JB, Brastianos PK, Shrivastava RK
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Immunotherapy of biliary tract cancer.
- Authors: Chai Y
- Issue date: 2016 Mar