Circulating tumor DNA in HER2 amplified breast cancer: a translational research substudy of the NeoALTTO phase 3 trial
de Azambuja, E
Di Cosimo, S
Wardley, Andrew M
AffiliationBreast Cancer Translational Research Laboratory, Queen's University Belfast
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: In the neoadjuvant treatment (NAT) setting, dual human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) targeted therapy is associated with increased pathological complete response (pCR) rates compared to each therapy alone. Biomarkers allowing to predict treatment response during NAT are needed. We aim to evaluate whether circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) is associated with response to anti-HER2 targeted therapy. EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: Plasma DNA collected before NAT, at week2 and before surgery from patients enrolled in the NeoALTTOtrialwas assessed using digital PCR for PIK3CA and TP53 mutation detection. RESULTS: A total of 69 of 455 (15.2%) patients had a PIK3CA and/or TP53 mutation detected in the baseline tumor sample and evaluable ctDNA results from baseline samples. CtDNA was detected in 41%, 20% and 5% patients before NAT, at week 2 and before surgery respectively. CtDNA detection before NAT was significantly associated with older age and ER-negative status. CtDNA detection before NAT was associated with decreased odds of achieving pCR (OR 0.15, 95%CI 0.034-0.7, p=0.0089) but not with event-free survival (EFS). Analyses for EFS were underpowered. Interestingly, the patients with HER2 enriched subtype tumors and undetectable ctDNA at baseline had the highest pCR rates. By contrast, patients with persistent ctDNA detection at baseline and week 2 had the lowest rate of pCR. CONCLUSIONS: CtDNA detection before neoadjuvant anti-HER2 therapies is associated with decreased pCR rates. Interestingly, patients with HER2 enriched tumors and undetectable ctDNA at baseline had the highest pCR rates, therefore appearing as the best candidates for treatment de-escalation strategies.
CitationRothe F, Silva MJ, Venet D, Campbell C, Bradbury I, Rouas G, et al. Circulating tumor DNA in HER2 amplified breast cancer: a translational research substudy of the NeoALTTO phase 3 trial. Clin Cancer Res. 2019.
JournalClinical Cancer Research
- A combinatorial biomarker predicts pathologic complete response to neoadjuvant lapatinib and trastuzumab without chemotherapy in patients with HER2+ breast cancer.
- Authors: Veeraraghavan J, De Angelis C, Mao R, Wang T, Herrera S, Pavlick AC, Contreras A, Nuciforo P, Mayer IA, Forero A, Nanda R, Goetz MP, Chang JC, Wolff AC, Krop IE, Fuqua SAW, Prat A, Hilsenbeck SG, Weigelt B, Reis-Filho JS, Gutierrez C, Osborne CK, Rimawi MF, Schiff R
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 1
- Identifying Circulating Tumor DNA Mutation Profiles in Metastatic Breast Cancer Patients with Multiline Resistance.
- Authors: Hu ZY, Xie N, Tian C, Yang X, Liu L, Li J, Xiao H, Wu H, Lu J, Gao J, Hu X, Cao M, Shui Z, Xiao M, Tang Y, He Q, Chang L, Xia X, Yi X, Liao Q, Ouyang Q
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Low PTEN levels and PIK3CA mutations predict resistance to neoadjuvant lapatinib and trastuzumab without chemotherapy in patients with HER2 over-expressing breast cancer.
- Authors: Rimawi MF, De Angelis C, Contreras A, Pareja F, Geyer FC, Burke KA, Herrera S, Wang T, Mayer IA, Forero A, Nanda R, Goetz MP, Chang JC, Krop IE, Wolff AC, Pavlick AC, Fuqua SAW, Gutierrez C, Hilsenbeck SG, Li MM, Weigelt B, Reis-Filho JS, Kent Osborne C, Schiff R
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- ctDNA dynamics: a novel indicator to track resistance in metastatic breast cancer treated with anti-HER2 therapy.
- Authors: Ma F, Zhu W, Guan Y, Yang L, Xia X, Chen S, Li Q, Guan X, Yi Z, Qian H, Yi X, Xu B
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 4
- Impact of somatic PI3K pathway and ERBB family mutations on pathological complete response (pCR) in HER2-positive breast cancer patients who received neoadjuvant HER2-targeted therapies.
- Authors: Toomey S, Eustace AJ, Fay J, Sheehan KM, Carr A, Milewska M, Madden SF, Teiserskiene A, Kay EW, O'Donovan N, Gallagher W, Grogan L, Breathnach O, Walshe J, Kelly C, Moulton B, Kennedy MJ, Gullo G, Hill AD, Power C, Duke D, Hambly N, Crown J, Hennessy BT
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 27