AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester and The Christie, Manchester, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this issue of the European Journal of Cancer, Shao et al. and Van Rompay et al. [1,2] report that statins and, in the latter manuscript, also non-statin lipid-lowering medications appear to improve prostate cancer outcomes, both by retrospective analyses. This adds to the large body of epidemiological studies suggesting a favourable role for statins on the clinical outcomes of men with prostate cancer, but the precise nature of the anticancer effect of these drugs remains controversial. Retrospective studies have an inherent bias because all these men received the statin (or any other lipid-lowering drug) for a medical condition that may influence their prognosis or receiving a statin could be a surrogate for being under more ‘intensive’ medical care.
CitationGillessen S, Horvath LG. Statins - No more cream for cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2019.
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Ezetimibe and simvastatin combination inhibits and reverses the pro-inflammatory and pro-atherogenic effects of cream in obese patients.
- Authors: Ghanim H, Green K, Abuaysheh S, Patel R, Batra M, Chaudhuri A, Makdissi A, Kuhadiya ND, Dandona P
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- A Comparison of Betamethasone Valerate 0.1% Cream Twice Daily Plus Oral Simvastatin Versus Betamethasone Valerate 0.1% Cream Alone in the Treatment of Vitiligo Patients.
- Authors: Iraji F, Banihashemi SH, Faghihi G, Shahmoradi Z, Tajmirriahi N, Jazi SB
- Issue date: 2017
- Thêta-Cream versus Bepanthol lotion in breast cancer patients under radiotherapy. A new prophylactic agent in skin care?
- Authors: Röper B, Kaisig D, Auer F, Mergen E, Molls M
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Natural oil-based emulsion containing allantoin versus aqueous cream for managing radiation-induced skin reactions in patients with cancer: a phase 3, double-blind, randomized, controlled trial.
- Authors: Chan RJ, Mann J, Tripcony L, Keller J, Cheuk R, Blades R, Keogh S, Poole C, Walsh C
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 15
- Topical use of phytotherapic cream (Capilen® cream) to prevent radiodermatitis in breast cancer: a prospective historically controlled clinical study.
- Authors: Stefanelli A, Forte L, Medoro S, Sgualdo A, Lombardo D, Zini G, Maronta D, Rainieri E, Pascale G, Bagnolatti P, Colella M, Princivalle S, Fiorica F
- Issue date: 2014 Feb