AffiliationDepartment of Oncology, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMost radiogenomics studies investigate how genetic variation can help to explain the differences in early and late radiotherapy toxicity between individuals. The field of radiogenomics in photon beam therapy has grown rapidly in recent years, carving out a unique translational discipline, which has progressed from candidate gene studies to larger scale genome-wide association studies, meta-analyses and now prospective validation studies. Genotyping is increasingly sophisticated and affordable, and whole-genome sequencing may soon become readily available as a diagnostic tool in the clinic. The ultimate aim of radiogenomics research is to tailor treatment to the individual with a test based on a combination of treatment, clinical and genetic factors. This personalisation would allow the greatest tumour control while minimising acute and long-term toxicity. Here we discuss the evolution of the field of radiogenomics with reference to the most recent developments and challenges.
CitationBrothwell MRS, West CM, Dunning AM, Burnet NG, Barnett GC. Radiogenomics in the era of advanced radiotherapy. Clin Oncol. 2019 May;31(5):319-25.
- Radiogenomics: the search for genetic predictors of radiotherapy response.
- Authors: Kerns SL, West CM, Andreassen CN, Barnett GC, Bentzen SM, Burnet NG, Dekker A, De Ruysscher D, Dunning A, Parliament M, Talbot C, Vega A, Rosenstein BS
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Radiogenomics: towards a personalized radiation oncology.
- Authors: Roberson JD 2nd, Burnett OL 3rd, Robin N
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Finding the genetic determinants of adverse reactions to radiotherapy.
- Authors: Rattay T, Talbot CJ
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Radiogenomics: radiobiology enters the era of big data and team science.
- Authors: Rosenstein BS, West CM, Bentzen SM, Alsner J, Andreassen CN, Azria D, Barnett GC, Baumann M, Burnet N, Chang-Claude J, Chuang EY, Coles CE, Dekker A, De Ruyck K, De Ruysscher D, Drumea K, Dunning AM, Easton D, Eeles R, Fachal L, Gutiérrez-Enríquez S, Haustermans K, Henríquez-Hernández LA, Imai T, Jones GD, Kerns SL, Liao Z, Onel K, Ostrer H, Parliament M, Pharoah PD, Rebbeck TR, Talbot CJ, Thierens H, Vega A, Witte JS, Wong P, Zenhausern F, Radiogenomics Consortium.
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 15
- Radiogenomics: A systems biology approach to understanding genetic risk factors for radiotherapy toxicity?
- Authors: Herskind C, Talbot CJ, Kerns SL, Veldwijk MR, Rosenstein BS, West CM
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 1