Prophylactic irradiation of tracts in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: an open-label, multicenter, phase III randomized trial
AuthorsBayman, Neil A
Pemberton, Laura S
Ryder, W David J
AffiliationThe Christie National Health Service Foundation Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: Prophylactic irradiation to the chest wall after diagnostic or therapeutic procedures in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) has been a widespread practice across Europe, although the efficacy of this treatment is uncertain. In this study, we aimed to determine the efficacy of prophylactic radiotherapy in reducing the incidence of chest wall metastases (CWM) after a procedure in MPM. METHODS: After undergoing a chest wall procedure, patients with MPM were randomly assigned to receive prophylactic radiotherapy (within 42 days of the procedure) or no radiotherapy. Open thoracotomies, needle biopsies, and indwelling pleural catheters were excluded. Prophylactic radiotherapy was delivered at a dose of 21 Gy in three fractions over three consecutive working days, using a single electron field adapted to maximize coverage of the tract from skin surface to pleura. The primary outcome was the incidence of CWM within 6 months from random assignment, assessed in the intention-to-treat population. Stratification factors included epithelioid histology and intention to give chemotherapy. RESULTS: Between July 30, 2012, and December 12, 2015, 375 patients were recruited from 54 centers and randomly assigned to receive prophylactic radiotherapy (n = 186) or no prophylactic radiotherapy (n = 189). Participants were well matched at baseline. No significant difference was seen in the incidence of CWM at 6 months between the prophylactic radiotherapy and no radiotherapy groups (no. [%]: 6 [3.2] v 10 [5.3], respectively; odds ratio, 0.60; 95% CI, 0.17 to 1.86; P = .44). Skin toxicity was the most common radiotherapy-related adverse event in the prophylactic radiotherapy group, with 96 patients (51.6%) receiving grade 1; 19 (10.2%), grade 2; and 1 (0.5%) grade 3 radiation dermatitis (Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events, version 4.0). CONCLUSION: There is no role for the routine use of prophylactic irradiation to chest wall procedure sites in patients with MPM.
CitationBayman N, Appel W, Ashcroft L, Baldwin DR, Bates A, Darlison L, et al. Prophylactic irradiation of tracts in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: an open-label, multicenter, phase III randomized trial. J Clin Oncol. 2019.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Prophylactic radiotherapy for the prevention of procedure-tract metastases after surgical and large-bore pleural procedures in malignant pleural mesothelioma (SMART): a multicentre, open-label, phase 3, randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Clive AO, Taylor H, Dobson L, Wilson P, de Winton E, Panakis N, Pepperell J, Howell T, Stewart SA, Penz E, Jordan N, Morley AJ, Zahan-Evans N, Smith S, Batchelor TJP, Marchbank A, Bishop L, Ionescu AA, Bayne M, Cooper S, Kerry A, Jenkins P, Toy E, Vigneswaran V, Gildersleve J, Ahmed M, McDonald F, Button M, Lewanski C, Comins C, Dakshinamoorthy M, Lee YCG, Rahman NM, Maskell NA
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Protocol for the surgical and large bore procedures in malignant pleural mesothelioma and radiotherapy trial (SMART Trial): an RCT evaluating whether prophylactic radiotherapy reduces the incidence of procedure tract metastases.
- Authors: Clive AO, Wilson P, Taylor H, Morley AJ, de Winton E, Panakis N, Rahman N, Pepperell J, Howell T, Batchelor TJ, Jordan N, Lee YC, Dobson L, Maskell NA
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 9
- Protocol for PIT: a phase III trial of prophylactic irradiation of tracts in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma following invasive chest wall intervention.
- Authors: Bayman N, Ardron D, Ashcroft L, Baldwin DR, Booton R, Darlison L, Edwards JG, Lang-Lazdunski L, Lester JF, Peake M, Rintoul RC, Snee M, Taylor P, Lunt C, Faivre-Finn C
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 27
- [Prophylactic radiotherapy in a single fraction of 10Gy at intervention pleural site in patient with malignant pleural mesothelioma: A retrospective monocentric cohort study].
- Authors: Carette H, Faivre JC, Salleron J, Baumann AS, Uwer L, Clément-Duchêne C, Vignaud JM, Petit I, Siat J, Tiotiu A, Beckendorf V
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Prophylactic procedure tract radiotherapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Bergamin S, Tio M, Stevens MJ
- Issue date: 2018 Nov