Novel methods to improve the efficiency of radioimmunotherapy for Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
AffiliationResearch Center for Immunodeficiencies, Children's Medical Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences , Tehran , Iran
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadioimmunotherapy (RIT) is a novel strategy for treating non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). Several studies have shown the promising results of using RIT in NHL, which have led to FDA approval for two RIT agents in treating low grade NHL. In spite of these favorable results in low-grade NHL, most of the aggressive or relapsed/refractory NHL subjects experience relapses following RIT. Although more aggressive treatments such as myeloablative doses of RIT followed by stem cell transplantation appear to be able to provide a longer survival for some patients these approaches are associated with significant treatment-related adverse events and challenging to deliver in most centers. Therefore, it seems reasonable to develop treatment approaches that enhance the efficiency of RIT, while reducing its toxicity. In this paper, novel methods that improve the efficiency of RIT and reduce its toxicity through various mechanisms are reviewed. Further clinical development of these methods could expand the NHL patient groups eligible for receiving RIT, and even extend the use of RIT to new indications and disease groups in future.
CitationEskian M, Khorasanizadeh M, Zinzani PL, Illidge TM, Rezaei N. Novel methods to improve the efficiency of radioimmunotherapy for Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Int Rev Immunol. 2019 Mar 31:1-13.
JournalInternational Reviews of Immunology
- Radioimmunotherapy for indolent B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma in relapsed, refractory and transformed disease.
- Authors: Visser OJ, Perk LR, Zijlstra JM, van Dongen GA, Huijgens PC, van de Loosdrecht AA
- Issue date: 2006
- Radioimmunotherapy in non-Hodgkin lymphoma: Prediction and assessment of response.
- Authors: Eskian M, Khorasanizadeh M, Kraeber-Bodere F, Rezaei N
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Radioimmunotherapy for the treatment of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: current status and future applications.
- Authors: Ahmed S, Winter JN, Gordon LI, Evens AM
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Radioimmunotherapy for stem cell transplantation in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: in pursuit of a complete response.
- Authors: Gisselbrecht C, Vose J, Nademanee A, Gianni AM, Nagler A
- Issue date: 2009
- High-dose myeloablative radioimmunotherapy of mantle cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma with the iodine-131-labeled chimeric anti-CD20 antibody C2B8 and autologous stem cell support. Results of a pilot study.
- Authors: Behr TM, Griesinger F, Riggert J, Gratz S, Béhé M, Kaufmann CC, Wörmann B, Brittinger G, Becker W
- Issue date: 2002 Feb 15