Prophylactic cranial irradiation in stage IV small cell lung cancer: selection of patients amongst European IASLC and ESTRO experts
Blackhall, Fiona H
de Marinis, F
Le Pechoux, C
Van Houtte, P
De Ruysscher, D
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, Kantonsspital St. Gallen, St. Gallen, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Due to conflicting results between major trials the role of prophylactic cranial irradiation (PCI) in stage IV small cell lung cancer (SCLC) is controversial. METHODS: We obtained a list of 13 European experts from both the European Society for Therapeutic Radiation Oncology (ESTRO) and the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC). The strategies in decision making for PCI in stage IV SCLC were collected. Decision trees were created representing these strategies. Analysis of consensus was performed with the objective consensus methodology. RESULTS: The factors associated with the recommendation for the use of PCI included the fitness of the patient, young age and good response to chemotherapy. PCI was recommended by the majority of experts for non-elderly fit patients who had at least a partial response (PR) to chemotherapy (for complete remission (CR) 85% of radiation oncologists and 69% of medical oncologists, for PR: 85% of radiation oncologists and 54% of medical oncologists). For patients with stable disease after chemotherapy, PCI was recommended by 6 out of 13 (46%) radiation oncologists and only 3 out of 13 medical oncologists (23%). For elderly fit patients with CR, a majority recommended PCI (62%) and no consensus was reached for patients with PR. CONCLUSION: European radiation and medical oncologists specializing in lung cancer recommend PCI in selected patients and restrict its use primarily to fit, non-elderly patients who responded to chemotherapy.
CitationPutora PM, Glatzer M, Belderbos J, Besse B, Blackhall F, Califano R, et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation in stage IV small cell lung cancer: selection of patients amongst European IASLC and ESTRO experts. Radiother Oncol. 2019 Apr;133:163-6.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Consolidative thoracic radiotherapy in stage IV small cell lung cancer: Selection of patients amongst European IASLC and ESTRO experts.
- Authors: Putora PM, Glatzer M, De Ruysscher D, Faivre-Finn C, Belderbos J, Besse B, Blackhall F, Califano R, Cappuzzo F, de Marinis F, Dziadiuszko R, Felip E, Früh M, Garrido P, Le Pechoux C, McDonald F, Nestle U, Novello S, Brien MO, Paz Ares L, Peeters S, Pöttgen C, Ramella S, Reck M, Troost EGC, Van Houtte P, Westeel V, Widder J, Mornex F, Slotman BJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Current Patterns of Care for Patients with Extensive-Stage SCLC: Survey of U.S. Radiation Oncologists on Their Recommendations Regarding Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation.
- Authors: Jain A, Luo J, Chen Y, Henderson MA, Thomas CR Jr, Mitin T
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation for Limited-Stage Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Survey of US Radiation Oncologists on Current Practice Patterns.
- Authors: Farrell MJ, Yahya JB, Degnin C, Chen Y, Holland JM, Henderson MA, Jaboin JJ, Harkenrider MM, Thomas CR Jr, Mitin T
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- The role of postoperative thoracic radiotherapy and prophylactic cranial irradiation in early stage small cell lung cancer: Patient selection among ESTRO experts.
- Authors: Putora PM, De Ruysscher D, Glatzer M, Widder J, Van Houtte P, Troost EGC, Slotman BJ, Ramella S, Pöttgen C, Peeters S, Nestle U, McDonald F, Le Pechoux C, Dziadziuszko R, Belderbos J, Faivre-Finn C
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Treatment of brain metastases in small cell lung cancer: Decision-making amongst a multidisciplinary panel of European experts.
- Authors: Putora PM, Fischer GF, Früh M, Califano R, Faivre-Finn C, Van Houtte P, McDonald F, Nestle U, Dziadziuszko R, Le Pechoux C, Ramella S, Belderbos J, Slotman BJ, Troost EGC, Peeters S, Widder J, Pöttgen C, Reck M, Blackhall F, Cappuzzo F, Besse B, Novello S, Garrido P, Felip E, O'Brien M, Paz Ares L, de Marinis F, Westeel V, De Ruysscher D
- Issue date: 2020 Aug