Molecular subtypes of small cell lung cancer: a synthesis of human and mouse model data
AffiliationMemorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall cell lung cancer (SCLC) is an exceptionally lethal malignancy for which more effective therapies are urgently needed. Several lines of evidence, from SCLC primary human tumours, patient-derived xenografts, cancer cell lines and genetically engineered mouse models, appear to be converging on a new model of SCLC subtypes defined by differential expression of four key transcription regulators: achaete-scute homologue 1 (ASCL1; also known as ASH1), neurogenic differentiation factor 1 (NeuroD1), yes-associated protein 1 (YAP1) and POU class 2 homeobox 3 (POU2F3). In this Perspectives article, we review and synthesize these recent lines of evidence and propose a working nomenclature for SCLC subtypes defined by relative expression of these four factors. Defining the unique therapeutic vulnerabilities of these subtypes of SCLC should help to focus and accelerate therapeutic research, leading to rationally targeted approaches that may ultimately improve clinical outcomes for patients with this disease.
CitationRudin CM, Poirier JT, Byers LA, Dive C, Dowlati A, George J, et al. Molecular subtypes of small cell lung cancer: a synthesis of human and mouse model data. Nat Rev Cancer. 2019 Mar 29.
JournalNature Reviews Cancer
- SCLC Subtypes Defined by ASCL1, NEUROD1, POU2F3, and YAP1: A Comprehensive Immunohistochemical and Histopathologic Characterization.
- Authors: Baine MK, Hsieh MS, Lai WV, Egger JV, Jungbluth AA, Daneshbod Y, Beras A, Spencer R, Lopardo J, Bodd F, Montecalvo J, Sauter JL, Chang JC, Buonocore DJ, Travis WD, Sen T, Poirier JT, Rudin CM, Rekhtman N
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Ascl1-induced Wnt11 regulates neuroendocrine differentiation, cell proliferation, and E-cadherin expression in small-cell lung cancer and Wnt11 regulates small-cell lung cancer biology.
- Authors: Tenjin Y, Kudoh S, Kubota S, Yamada T, Matsuo A, Sato Y, Ichimura T, Kohrogi H, Sashida G, Sakagami T, Ito T
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- POU2F3 is a master regulator of a tuft cell-like variant of small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Huang YH, Klingbeil O, He XY, Wu XS, Arun G, Lu B, Somerville TDD, Milazzo JP, Wilkinson JE, Demerdash OE, Spector DL, Egeblad M, Shi J, Vakoc CR
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 1
- Small cell lung cancer, an epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT)-like cancer: significance of inactive Notch signaling and expression of achaete-scute complex homologue 1.
- Authors: Ito T, Kudoh S, Ichimura T, Fujino K, Hassan WA, Udaka N
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- POU domain transcription factor BRN2 is crucial for expression of ASCL1, ND1 and neuroendocrine marker molecules and cell growth in small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Ishii J, Sato H, Sakaeda M, Shishido-Hara Y, Hiramatsu C, Kamma H, Shimoyamada H, Fujiwara M, Endo T, Aoki I, Yazawa T
- Issue date: 2013 Mar