Identification of patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma due to inheritable mutation: challenges of daily clinical practice
McNamara, Mairead G
Hubner, Richard A
Valle, Juan W
AffiliationCleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Institute, Cleveland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Identification of germ-line mutations in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) could impact on patient/family. AIM: To assess the referral pathways for genetic consultations in PDAC. METHODS: Electronic records of PDAC patients were reviewed retrospectively. Patients eligible for genetic consultation referral were identified following the European Registry of Hereditary Pancreatitis and Familial Pancreatic Cancer (EUROPAC) criteria. RESULTS: Four-hundred patients were eligible. Of 113 patients (28.3%) meeting EUROPAC criteria, 8.8% were referred for genetic opinion. Germ-line mutations were identified in 0.75% of the whole population. CONCLUSION: Earlier referrals and increased awareness may be able to overcome the low rate of successful genetic appointments. KEYWORDS: BRCA; Genetic consultation; Genetic counselling; Germline; Pancreatic adenocarcinoma
CitationFulton A, Lamarca A, Nuttall C, McCallum L, Pihlak R, O'Reilly D, et al. Identification of patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma due to inheritable mutation: challenges of daily clinical practice. World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2019 Feb 15;11(2):102-16.
JournalWorld Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology
- Referral frequency, attrition rate, and outcomes of germline testing in patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Walker EJ, Carnevale J, Pedley C, Blanco A, Chan S, Collisson EA, Tempero MA, Ko AH
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Germline BRCA mutations in Asian patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a prospective study evaluating risk category for genetic testing.
- Authors: Lee K, Yoo C, Kim KP, Park KJ, Chang HM, Kim TW, Lee JL, Lee W, Lee SS, Park DH, Song TJ, Seo DW, Lee SK, Kim MH, Shin SH, Hwang DW, Song KB, Lee JH, Kim SC, Ryoo BY
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Germline BRCA Mutations in a Large Clinic-Based Cohort of Patients With Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Holter S, Borgida A, Dodd A, Grant R, Semotiuk K, Hedley D, Dhani N, Narod S, Akbari M, Moore M, Gallinger S
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 1
- Prospective study of germline genetic testing in incident cases of pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Brand R, Borazanci E, Speare V, Dudley B, Karloski E, Peters MLB, Stobie L, Bahary N, Zeh H, Zureikat A, Hogg M, Lee K, Tsung A, Rhee J, Ohr J, Sun W, Lee J, Moser AJ, DeLeonardis K, Krejdovsky J, Dalton E, LaDuca H, Dolinsky J, Colvin A, Lim C, Black MH, Tung N
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 1
- A comprehensive analysis of candidate genes in familial pancreatic cancer families reveals a high frequency of potentially pathogenic germline variants.
- Authors: Earl J, Galindo-Pumariño C, Encinas J, Barreto E, Castillo ME, Pachón V, Ferreiro R, Rodríguez-Garrote M, González-Martínez S, Ramon Y Cajal T, Diaz LR, Chirivella-Gonzalez I, Rodriguez M, de Castro EM, García-Seisdedos D, Muñoz G, Rosa JMR, Marquez M, Malats N, Carrato A
- Issue date: 2020 Mar