MRI commissioning of 1.5T MR-linac systems - a multi-institutional study
van der Heide, A
AffiliationThe Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Magnetic Resonance linear accelerator (MR-linac) systems represent a new type of technology that allows for online MR-guidance for high precision radiotherapy (RT). Currently, the first MR-linac installations are being introduced clinically. Since the imaging performance of these integrated MR-linac systems is critical for their application, a thorough commissioning of the MRI performance is essential. However, guidelines on the commissioning of MR-guided RT systems are not yet defined and data on the performance of MR-linacs are not yet available. MATERIALS & METHODS: Here we describe a comprehensive commissioning protocol, which contains standard MRI performance measurements as well as dedicated hybrid tests that specifically assess the interactions between the Linac and the MRI system. The commissioning results of four MR-linac systems are presented in a multi-center study. RESULTS: Although the four systems showed similar performance in all the standard MRI performance tests, some differences were observed relating to the hybrid character of the systems. Field homogeneity measurements identified differences in the gantry shim configuration, which was later confirmed by the vendor. CONCLUSION: Our results highlight the importance of dedicated hybrid commissioning tests and the ability to compare the machines between institutes at this very early stage of clinical introduction. Until formal guidelines and tolerances are defined the tests described in this study may be used as a practical guideline. Moreover, the multi-center results provide initial bench mark data for future MR-linac installations.
CitationTijssen N, Philippens P, Paulson S, Glitzner M, Chugh B, Wetscherek A, et al. MRI commissioning of 1.5T MR-linac systems - a multi-institutional study. Radiother Oncol. 2019 Mar;132:114-20.
- MRI quality control for low-field MR-IGRT systems: Lessons learned.
- Authors: Michael Gach H, Curcuru AN, Wittland EJ, Maraghechi B, Cai B, Mutic S, Green OL
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Application of TG-100 risk analysis methods to the acceptance testing and commissioning process of a Halcyon linear accelerator.
- Authors: Teo PT, Hwang MS, Shields WG, Kosterin P, Jang SY, Heron DE, Lalonde RJ, Huq MS
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Performance of a cylindrical diode array for use in a 1.5 T MR-linac.
- Authors: Houweling AC, de Vries JH, Wolthaus J, Woodings S, Kok JG, van Asselen B, Smit K, Bel A, Lagendijk JJ, Raaymakers BW
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 7
- Two-dimensional EPID dosimetry for an MR-linac: Proof of concept.
- Authors: Torres-Xirau I, Olaciregui-Ruiz I, van der Heide UA, Mans A
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Quality of Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy Treatment Plans Using a ⁶⁰Co Magnetic Resonance Image Guidance Radiation Therapy System.
- Authors: Wooten HO, Green O, Yang M, DeWees T, Kashani R, Olsen J, Michalski J, Yang D, Tanderup K, Hu Y, Li HH, Mutic S
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 15