Clinical presentation, diagnosis, and staging of cholangiocarcinoma
AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy, University Medical Center Utrecht, the Netherlands
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCholangiocarcinoma (CCA) is a heterogeneous group of tumours, derived from cells of the biliary tree, which represent the second most frequent primary liver tumour. According to the most recent classifications, CCA can be subdivided into intrahepatic (iCCA) and extrahepatic (eCCA) which include perihilar (pCCA) and distal (dCCA) CCA. CCA are usually identified at advanced stages, when the primary tumour grows enough to produce a large liver mass or when jaundice has developed because of biliary tree obstruction. The ongoing challenges in the identification of risk factors and definition of a specific population at higher risk of developing CCA are the main challenges for the development of screening programs. Therefore, late diagnosis remains an unresolved issue in CCA. Imaging plays an important role in the detection and characterization of CCA, helping with radiological diagnosis, guiding biopsy procedures and allowing staging of the tumour. This review focuses on clinical presentations and diagnosis and staging techniques of CCA.
CitationForner A, Vidili G, Rengo M, Bujanda L, Ponz-Sarvise M, Lamarca A. Clinical presentation, diagnosis, and staging of cholangiocarcinoma. Liver Int. 2019.
- Risk factors for intrahepatic and extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Clements O, Eliahoo J, Kim JU, Taylor-Robinson SD, Khan SA
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Cholangiocarcinoma in Germany: Epidemiologic trends and impact of misclassification.
- Authors: Walter D, Ferstl P, Waidmann O, Trojan J, Hartmann S, Schnitzbauer AA, Zeuzem S, Kraywinkel K
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Pathologic classification of cholangiocarcinoma: New concepts.
- Authors: Nakanuma Y, Kakuda Y
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Imaging spectrum of cholangiocarcinoma: role in diagnosis, staging, and posttreatment evaluation.
- Authors: Mar WA, Shon AM, Lu Y, Yu JH, Berggruen SM, Guzman G, Ray CE Jr, Miller F
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Mass-forming intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma presenting tumor growth in extrahepatic bile duct and superficial spreading.
- Authors: Regimbeau JM, Panis Y, Nemeth J, Pocard M, de Claviere G, Soyer P, Valleur P
- Issue date: 2003 Jan-Feb