The European Prostate Cancer Centres of Excellence: a novel proposal from the European Association of Urology Prostate Cancer Centre consensus meeting
Sangar, Vijay, K
van Poppel, H
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: High-quality management of prostate cancer is needed in the fields of clinics, research, and education. OBJECTIVE: The objective of this project was to develop the concept of "European Prostate Cancer Centres of Excellence" (EPCCE), with the specific aim of identifying European centres characterised by high-quality cancer care, research, and education. DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS: A task force of experts aimed at identifying the general criteria to define the EPCCE. Discussion took place in conference calls and by e-mail from March 2017 to November 2017, and the final consensus meeting named "European Association of Urology (EAU) Prostate Cancer Centre Consensus Meeting" was held in Barcelona on November 16, 2017. OUTCOME MEASUREMENTS AND STATISTICAL ANALYSIS: The required criteria were grouped into three main steps: (1) clinics, (2) research, and (3) education. A quality control approach for the three steps was defined. RESULTS AND LIMITATIONS: The definition of EPCCE consisted of the following steps: (1) clinical step-five items were identified and classified as core team, associated services, multidisciplinary approach, diagnostic pathway, and therapeutic pathway; (2) research step-internal monitoring of outcomes was required; clinical data had to be collected through a prespecified database, clinical outcomes had to be periodically assessed, and prospective trials had to be conducted; (3) educational step-it consists of structured fellowship programmes of 1yr, including 6mo of research and 6mo of clinics; and (4) quality assurance and quality control procedures, related to the quality assessment of the previous three steps. A limitation of this project was that the definition of standards and items was mainly based on a consensus among experts rather than being an evidence-based process. CONCLUSIONS: The EAU Prostate Cancer Centre Consensus Meeting defined the criteria for the identification of the EPCCE in the fields of clinics, research, and education. The inclusion of a quality control approach represents the novelty that supports the excellence of these centres. PATIENT SUMMARY: A task force of experts defined the criteria for the identification of European Prostate Cancer Centres of Excellence, in order to certify the high-quality centres for prostate cancer management.
CitationWirth M, Fossati N, Albers P, Bangma C, Brausi M, Comperat E, et al. The European Prostate Cancer Centres of Excellence: a novel proposal from the European Association of Urology Prostate Cancer Centre Ccnsensus Meeting. Eur Urol. 2019.
- Assessing excellence in translational cancer research: a consensus based framework.
- Authors: Rajan A, Caldas C, van Luenen H, Saghatchian M, van Harten WH
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 29
- EAU-EANM-ESTRO-ESUR-SIOG Prostate Cancer Guideline Panel Consensus Statements for Deferred Treatment with Curative Intent for Localised Prostate Cancer from an International Collaborative Study (DETECTIVE Study).
- Authors: Lam TBL, MacLennan S, Willemse PM, Mason MD, Plass K, Shepherd R, Baanders R, Bangma CH, Bjartell A, Bossi A, Briers E, Briganti A, Buddingh KT, Catto JWF, Colecchia M, Cox BW, Cumberbatch MG, Davies J, Davis NF, De Santis M, Dell'Oglio P, Deschamps A, Donaldson JF, Egawa S, Fankhauser CD, Fanti S, Fossati N, Gandaglia G, Gillessen S, Grivas N, Gross T, Grummet JP, Henry AM, Ingels A, Irani J, Lardas M, Liew M, Lin DW, Moris L, Omar MI, Pang KH, Paterson CC, Renard-Penna R, Ribal MJ, Roobol MJ, Rouprêt M, Rouvière O, Sancho Pardo G, Richenberg J, Schoots IG, Sedelaar JPM, Stricker P, Tilki D, Vahr Lauridsen S, van den Bergh RCN, Van den Broeck T, van der Kwast TH, van der Poel HG, van Leenders GJLH, Varma M, Violette PD, Wallis CJD, Wiegel T, Wilkinson K, Zattoni F, N'Dow JMO, Van Poppel H, Cornford P, Mottet N
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 3
- Setting an Agenda for Assessment of Health-related Quality of Life Among Men with Prostate Cancer on Active Surveillance: A Consensus Paper from a European School of Oncology Task Force.
- Authors: Villa S, Kendel F, Venderbos L, Rancati T, Bangma C, Carroll P, Denis L, Klotz L, Korfage IJ, Lane AJ, Magnani T, Mastris K, Rannikko A, Roobol M, Trock B, Van den Bergh R, Van Poppel H, Valdagni R, Bellardita L
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Towards quality, comprehensiveness and excellence. The accreditation project of the Organisation of European Cancer Institutes (OECI).
- Authors: Saghatchian M, Hummel H, Otter R, de Valeriola D, Van Harten W, Paradiso A, Koot B, Ringborg U, Tursz T, Organisation of European Cancer Institutes.
- Issue date: 2008 Mar-Apr