Widespread and functional RNA circularization in localized prostate cancer
de Jong, M
van der Kwast, T
Bristow, Robert G
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada;
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe cancer transcriptome is remarkably complex, including low-abundance transcripts, many not polyadenylated. To fully characterize the transcriptome of localized prostate cancer, we performed ultra-deep total RNA-seq on 144 tumors with rich clinical annotation. This revealed a linear transcriptomic subtype associated with the aggressive intraductal carcinoma sub-histology and a fusion profile that differentiates localized from metastatic disease. Analysis of back-splicing events showed widespread RNA circularization, with the average tumor expressing 7,232 circular RNAs (circRNAs). The degree of circRNA production was correlated to disease progression in multiple patient cohorts. Loss-of-function screening identified 11.3% of highly abundant circRNAs as essential for cell proliferation; for ?90% of these, their parental linear transcripts were not essential. Individual circRNAs can have distinct functions, with circCSNK1G3 promoting cell growth by interacting with miR-181. These data advocate for adoption of ultra-deep RNA-seq without poly-A selection to interrogate both linear and circular transcriptomes.
CitationChen S, Huang V, Xu X, Livingstone J, Soares F, Jeon J, et al. Widespread and functional RNA circularization in localized prostate cancer. Cell. 2019 Feb 7;176(4):831-43 e22.
- Single-cell RNA-seq transcriptome analysis of linear and circular RNAs in mouse preimplantation embryos.
- Authors: Fan X, Zhang X, Wu X, Guo H, Hu Y, Tang F, Huang Y
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 23
- The emerging role of circular RNAs in transcriptome regulation.
- Authors: Huang S, Yang B, Chen BJ, Bliim N, Ueberham U, Arendt T, Janitz M
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Circular RNA: A new star of noncoding RNAs.
- Authors: Qu S, Yang X, Li X, Wang J, Gao Y, Shang R, Sun W, Dou K, Li H
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 1
- RNA sequencing and Prediction Tools for Circular RNAs Analysis.
- Authors: López-Jiménez E, Rojas AM, Andrés-León E
- Issue date: 2018
- Integrative transcriptome sequencing reveals extensive alternative trans-splicing and cis-backsplicing in human cells.
- Authors: Chuang TJ, Chen YJ, Chen CY, Mai TL, Wang YD, Yeh CS, Yang MY, Hsiao YT, Chang TH, Kuo TC, Cho HH, Shen CN, Kuo HC, Lu MY, Chen YH, Hsieh SC, Chiang TW
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 20