AffiliationLeukaemia Biology Laboratory, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Manchester M20 4JG, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractForkhead box C1 (FOXC1) is a transcription factor with essential roles in mesenchymal lineage specification and organ development during normal embryogenesis. In keeping with these developmental properties, mutations that impair the activity of FOXC1 result in the heritable Axenfeld-Rieger Syndrome and other congenital disorders. Crucially, gain of FOXC1 function is emerging as a recurrent feature of malignancy; FOXC1 overexpression is now documented in more than 16 cancer types, often in association with an unfavorable prognosis. This review explores current evidence for FOXC1 deregulation in cancer and the putative mechanisms by which FOXC1 confers its oncogenic effects.
CitationGilding LN, Somervaille TCP. The diverse consequences of FOXC1 deregulation incCancer. Cancers (Basel). 2019 Feb 5;11(2).
- FOXC1, the new player in the cancer sandbox.
- Authors: Elian FA, Yan E, Walter MA
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 30
- Whole exome sequencing reveals a novel de novo FOXC1 mutation in a patient with unrecognized Axenfeld-Rieger syndrome and glaucoma.
- Authors: Pasutto F, Mauri L, Popp B, Sticht H, Ekici A, Piozzi E, Bonfante A, Penco S, Schlötzer-Schrehardt U, Reis A
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 15
- FoxC1 promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition through PBX1 dependent transactivation of ZEB2 in esophageal cancer.
- Authors: Zhu X, Wei L, Bai Y, Wu S, Han S
- Issue date: 2017
- Comparison of Bioinformatics Prediction, Molecular Modeling, and Functional Analyses of FOXC1 Mutations in Patients with Axenfeld-Rieger Syndrome.
- Authors: Seifi M, Footz T, Taylor SA, Walter MA
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- The Axenfeld-Rieger Syndrome Gene <i>FOXC1</i> Contributes to Left-Right Patterning.
- Authors: Chrystal PW, French CR, Jean F, Havrylov S, van Baarle S, Peturson AM, Xu P, Crump JG, Pilgrim DB, Lehmann OJ, Waskiewicz AJ
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 26