Import of extracellular ATP in yeast and man modulates AMPK and TORC1 signalling
Hagan, Iain M
AffiliationFaculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PT, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAMP-activated kinase (AMPK) and Target Of Rapamycin (TOR) signalling coordinate cell growth, proliferation, metabolism, and cell survival with the nutrient environment of cells. The poor vasculature and nutritional stress experienced by cells in solid tumours raises the question: how do they assimilate sufficient nutrients to survive? Here, we show that human and fission yeast cells import ATP and AMP from their external environment to regulate AMPK and TOR signalling. Exposure of fission yeast and human cells to external AMP impeded cell growth, however, in yeast this restraining impact required AMPK. In contrast, external ATP rescued the growth defect of yeast mutants with reduced TORC1 signalling, furthermore, exogenous ATP transiently enhanced TORC1 signalling in both yeast and human cell lines. Addition of the PANX1 channel inhibitor probenecid blocked ATP import into human cell lines suggesting that this channel may be responsible for both ATP release and uptake in mammals. In light of these findings it is possible that the higher extracellular ATP concentration reported in solid tumours is both scavenged and recognized as an additional energy source beneficial for cells growth.
CitationForte GM, Davie E, Lie S, Franz-Wachtel M, Ovens AJ, Wang T, et al. Import of extracellular ATP in yeast and man modulates AMPK and TORC1 signalling. J Cell Sci. 2019 Feb 27.
JournalJournal of Cell Science
- mTORC1 directly inhibits AMPK to promote cell proliferation under nutrient stress.
- Authors: Ling NXY, Kaczmarek A, Hoque A, Davie E, Ngoei KRW, Morrison KR, Smiles WJ, Forte GM, Wang T, Lie S, Dite TA, Langendorf CG, Scott JW, Oakhill JS, Petersen J
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- TORC1-Dependent Phosphorylation Targets in Fission Yeast.
- Authors: Otsubo Y, Nakashima A, Yamamoto M, Yamashita A
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 3
- The contribution of non-essential <i>Schizosaccharomyces pombe</i> genes to fitness in response to altered nutrient supply and target of rapamycin activity.
- Authors: Lie S, Banks P, Lawless C, Lydall D, Petersen J
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Genetic interactions and functional analyses of the fission yeast gsk3 and amk2 single and double mutants defective in TORC1-dependent processes.
- Authors: Rallis C, Townsend S, Bähler J
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 10
- The cytosolic form of aspartate aminotransferase is required for full activation of TOR complex 1 in fission yeast.
- Authors: Reidman S, Cohen A, Kupiec M, Weisman R
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 29