Efficacy of venetoclax monotherapy in patients with relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukaemia in the post-BCR inhibitor setting: a UK wide analysis
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Churchill Hospital, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Oxford, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVenetoclax is a BCL2 inhibitor with activity in relapsed/refractory (R/R) chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). We conducted a multi-centre retrospective analysis of 105 R/R CLL patients who received venetoclax pre-National Health Service commissioning. The median age was 67 years and median prior lines was 3 (range: 1-15). 48% had TP53 disruption. At ?2 lines, 60% received a Bruton Tyrosine Kinase inhibitor (BTKi) and no prior phosphoinositide 3-kinase inhibitor (Pi3Ki), 25% received a Pi3Ki and no prior BTKi, and 10% received both. Patients discontinued B cell receptor inhibitor (BCRi) because of toxicity in 44% and progression in 54%. Tumour lysis syndrome risk was low, intermediate or high in 27%, 25%, and 48% respectively. Overall response was 88% (30% complete response [CR]). The overall response rate was 85% (CR 23%) in BTKi-exposed patients, 92% (CR 38%) in Pi3Ki-exposed patients and 80% (CR 20%) in both (P = 0·59). With a median follow-up of 15·6 months, 1-year progression-free survival was 65·0% and 1-year overall survival was 75·1%. Dose reduction or temporary interruption did not result in an inferior progression-free or discontinuation-free survival. Risk of progression or death after stopping a prior BCRi for progression was double compared to those stopping for other reasons (predominantly toxicity) (Hazard Ratio 2·01 P = 0·05). Venetoclax is active and well tolerated in R/R CLL post ?1 BCRi. Reason(s) for stopping BCRi influences venetoclax outcomes.
CitationEyre TA, Kirkwood AA, Gohill S, Follows G, Walewska R, Walter H, et al. Efficacy of venetoclax monotherapy in patients with relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukaemia in the post-BCR inhibitor setting: a UK wide analysis. Br J Haematol. 2019 Feb 15.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Venetoclax for chronic lymphocytic leukaemia progressing after ibrutinib: an interim analysis of a multicentre, open-label, phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Jones JA, Mato AR, Wierda WG, Davids MS, Choi M, Cheson BD, Furman RR, Lamanna N, Barr PM, Zhou L, Chyla B, Salem AH, Verdugo M, Humerickhouse RA, Potluri J, Coutre S, Woyach J, Byrd JC
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Venetoclax plus rituximab in relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: a phase 1b study.
- Authors: Seymour JF, Ma S, Brander DM, Choi MY, Barrientos J, Davids MS, Anderson MA, Beaven AW, Rosen ST, Tam CS, Prine B, Agarwal SK, Munasinghe W, Zhu M, Lash LL, Desai M, Cerri E, Verdugo M, Kim SY, Humerickhouse RA, Gordon GB, Kipps TJ, Roberts AW
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Optimal sequencing of ibrutinib, idelalisib, and venetoclax in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: results from a multicenter study of 683 patients.
- Authors: Mato AR, Hill BT, Lamanna N, Barr PM, Ujjani CS, Brander DM, Howlett C, Skarbnik AP, Cheson BD, Zent CS, Pu JJ, Kiselev P, Foon K, Lenhart J, Henick Bachow S, Winter AM, Cruz AL, Claxton DF, Goy A, Daniel C, Isaac K, Kennard KH, Timlin C, Fanning M, Gashonia L, Yacur M, Svoboda J, Schuster SJ, Nabhan C
- Issue date: 2017 May 1
- Venetoclax in relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia with 17p deletion: a multicentre, open-label, phase 2 study.
- Authors: Stilgenbauer S, Eichhorst B, Schetelig J, Coutre S, Seymour JF, Munir T, Puvvada SD, Wendtner CM, Roberts AW, Jurczak W, Mulligan SP, Böttcher S, Mobasher M, Zhu M, Desai M, Chyla B, Verdugo M, Enschede SH, Cerri E, Humerickhouse R, Gordon G, Hallek M, Wierda WG
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Targeted multigene deep sequencing of Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitor-resistant chronic lymphocytic leukemia with disease progression and Richter transformation.
- Authors: Kanagal-Shamanna R, Jain P, Patel KP, Routbort M, Bueso-Ramos C, Alhalouli T, Khoury JD, Luthra R, Ferrajoli A, Keating M, Jain N, Burger J, Estrov Z, Wierda W, Kantarjian HM, Medeiros LJ
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 15