Effect of pembrolizumab on CD4(+) CD25(+) , CD4(+) LAP(+) and CD4(+) TIM-3(+) T cell subsets.
AffiliationCancer Research Center, Qatar, Biomedical Research Institute, Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Qatar Foundation, Doha, Qatar
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTumor immune evasion involves the expansion of avidly proliferating immunosuppressive cells and inhibition of effector T cell proliferation. Immune checkpoints (IC) block the activation pathways of tumor-reactive T cells. IC pathways are often exploited by tumor cells to evade immune destruction, and blocking these pathways through IC inhibitors (ICI) has shown promising results in multiple malignancies. In this study, we investigated the effects of an ICI, pembrolizumab, on various T cell subsets in vitro. We compared the suppressive activity of CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cells (conventional Treg ) with T cells expressing T cell immunoglobulin-3+ (TIM-3+ ) and latency-associated peptide (LAP)+ T cells. We found that LAP-expressing T cells were more suppressive than conventional Treg , but TIM-3-expressing T cells were not suppressive. Our results show that pembrolizumab does not modulate functions of Treg and mediates its immunostimulatory effects via the release of effector T cells from suppression. These findings may assist in the development of agents designed to intervene in IC pathways to overcome Treg resistance to ICI.
CitationToor SM, Sasidharan Nair V, Pfister G, Elkord E. Effect of pembrolizumab on CD4(+) CD25(+) , CD4(+) LAP(+) and CD4(+) TIM-3(+) T cell subsets. Clin Exp Immunol. 2019 Jan 28.
JournalClinical and Experimental Immunology
- In-vitro effect of pembrolizumab on different T regulatory cell subsets.
- Authors: Toor SM, Syed Khaja AS, Alkurd I, Elkord E
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Latency-associated peptide identifies a novel CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cell subset with TGFbeta-mediated function and enhanced suppression of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.
- Authors: Chen ML, Yan BS, Bando Y, Kuchroo VK, Weiner HL
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 1
- Ex-vivo expanded baboon CD4+ CD25 Hi Treg cells suppress baboon anti-pig T and B cell immune response.
- Authors: Singh AK, Seavey CN, Horvath KA, Mohiuddin MM
- Issue date: 2012 Mar-Apr
- CD69+ CD4+ CD25- T cells, a new subset of regulatory T cells, suppress T cell proliferation through membrane-bound TGF-beta 1.
- Authors: Han Y, Guo Q, Zhang M, Chen Z, Cao X
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 1
- Phenotypic and functional characteristics of CD4+ CD39+ FOXP3+ and CD4+ CD39+ FOXP3neg T-cell subsets in cancer patients.
- Authors: Schuler PJ, Schilling B, Harasymczuk M, Hoffmann TK, Johnson J, Lang S, Whiteside TL
- Issue date: 2012 Jul