Valle, Juan W
The ENETS 2016 Munich Advisory Board Participants
AffiliationDepartment Gastroenterology, Hampshire Hospitals NHS Trust, Kings College Hospital ENETS centre of Excellence, Basingstoke
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe subject of colorectal neuroendocrine neoplasms (NENs), subdivided into well-differentiated NENs, termed neuroendocrine tumours (NETs; grade (G) 1 and 2), and poorly differentiated NENs, termed neuroendocrine carcinomas (NECs; G3) according to the 2010 World Health Organisation (WHO) classification, has arguably not had as much attention or study as NENs occurring in other sites. Colorectal NETs and NECs are however easier to study than many others since they are usually not difficult to remove and are increasingly detected because of intensified colorectal cancer screening and surveillance programmes. Colorectal NETs and NECs show site-specific heterogeneity with variable behaviour and different therapeutic options; these various aspects provide unique challenges. Because of bowel cancer screening programmes, colorectal NENs, like conventional adenocarcinomas, may be diagnosed at a stage that is associated with improved survival. In this article we intend to describe and define areas of unmet needs relating to the epidemiology, classification, pathology, diagnosis and therapy of colorectal NETs (including NETs G3), colorectal NECs, and finally, mixed adeno-neuroendocrine carcinomas (MANECs) by reviewing and discussing the relevant literature.
CitationRamage JK, Valle JW, Nieveen van Dijkum EJM, Sundin A, Pascher A, Couvelard A, et al. Colorectal neuroendocrine neoplasms: areas of unmet need. Neuroendocrinology. 2019;108(1):45-53.
- Neuroendocrine Neoplasms: Dichotomy, Origin and Classifications.
- Authors: Klöppel G
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Classification and pathology of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms.
- Authors: Klöppel G
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Republished: gastric neuroendocrine neoplasms and related precursor lesions.
- Authors: La Rosa S, Vanoli A
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Management of early gastrointestinal neuroendocrine neoplasms.
- Authors: Scherübl H, Jensen RT, Cadiot G, Stölzel U, Klöppel G
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 16
- Heterogeneity of grade 3 gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine carcinomas: New insights and treatment implications.
- Authors: Fazio N, Milione M
- Issue date: 2016 Nov