The ENETS 2016 Munich Advisory Board Participants
Valle, Juan W
AffiliationNeuroendocrine Tumour Unit, Royal Free Hospital, London
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAppendiceal neuroendocrine neoplasms (ANEN) are mostly discovered coincidentally during appendicectomy and usually have a benign clinical course; thus, appendicectomy alone is considered curative. However, in some cases, a malignant potential is suspected, and therefore additional operations such as completion right hemicolectomy are considered. The existing European Neuroendocrine Tumour Society (ENETS) guidelines provide useful data about epidemiology and prognosis, as well as practical recommendations with regards to the risk factors for a more aggressive disease course and the indications for a secondary operation. However, these guidelines are based on heterogeneous and retrospective studies. Therefore, the evidence does not seem to be robust, and there are still unmet needs in terms of accurate epidemiology and overall prognosis, optimal diagnostic and follow-up strategy, as well as identified risk factors that would indicate a more aggressive surgical approach at the beginning and a more intense follow-up. In this review, we are adopting a critical approach of the ENETS guidelines and published series for ANEN, focusing on the above-noted "grey areas".
CitationToumpanakis C, Fazio N, Tiensuu Janson E, Horsch D, Pascher A, Reed N, et al. Unmet needs in appendiceal neuroendocrine neoplasms. Neuroendocrinology. 2019;108(1):37-44.
- The Problem of Appendiceal Carcinoids.
- Authors: Galanopoulos M, Toumpanakis C
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Challenging the Current Risk Factors of Appendiceal Neuroendocrine Neoplasms: Can They Accurately Predict Local Lymph Nodal Invasion? Results from a Large Case Series.
- Authors: Galanopoulos M, McFadyen R, Drami I, Naik R, Evans N, Luong TV, Watkins J, Caplin M, Toumpanakis C
- Issue date: 2019
- Appendicular Neuroendocrine Neoplasm is Associated with Acute Appendicitis - Don't Miss the Boat.
- Authors: Khan K, Patil S, Roomi S, Shiwani MH
- Issue date: 2019 Jul-Aug
- Surgical Management of Patients with Neuroendocrine Neoplasms of the Appendix: Appendectomy or More.
- Authors: Pawa N, Clift AK, Osmani H, Drymousis P, Cichocki A, Flora R, Goldin R, Patsouras D, Baird A, Malczewska A, Kinross J, Faiz O, Antoniou A, Wasan H, Kaltsas GA, Darzi A, Cwikla JB, Frilling A
- Issue date: 2018
- Appendiceal neuroendocrine neoplasms: diagnosis and management.
- Authors: Alexandraki KI, Kaltsas GA, Grozinsky-Glasberg S, Chatzellis E, Grossman AB
- Issue date: 2016 Jan