Unmet medical needs in pulmonary neuroendocrine (carcinoid) neoplasms.
van, Dijkum E
Valle, Juan W
ENETS 2016 Munich Advisory Board Participants
AffiliationOncologie Endocrinienne et Médecine Nucléaire, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPulmonary carcinoids (PCs) display the common features of all well-differentiated neuroendocrine neoplasms (NEN) and are classified as low- and intermediate-grade malignant tumours (i.e., typical and atypical carcinoid, respectively). There is a paucity of randomised studies dedicated to advanced PCs and management principles are drawn from the larger gastroenteropancreatic NEN experience. There is growing evidence that NEN anatomic subgroups have different biology and different responses to treatment and, therefore, should be investigated as separate entities in clinical trials. In this review, we discuss the existing evidence and limitations of tumour classification, diagnostics and staging, prognostication, and treatment in the setting of PC, with focus on unmet medical needs and directions for the future.
CitationBaudin E, Hayes AR, Scoazec JY, Filosso PL, Lim E, Kaltsas G, et al. Unmet medical needs in pulmonary neuroendocrine (carcinoid) neoplasms. Neuroendocrinology. 2019;108(1):7-17.
- [Pulmonary neuroendocrine tumors. The spectrum of histologic subtypes and current concept on diagnosis and treatment].
- Authors: Langfort R, Rudziński P, Burakowska B
- Issue date: 2010
- Pulmonary neuroendocrine (carcinoid) tumors: European Neuroendocrine Tumor Society expert consensus and recommendations for best practice for typical and atypical pulmonary carcinoids.
- Authors: Caplin ME, Baudin E, Ferolla P, Filosso P, Garcia-Yuste M, Lim E, Oberg K, Pelosi G, Perren A, Rossi RE, Travis WD, ENETS consensus conference participants.
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Neuroendocrine tumours--challenges in the diagnosis and classification of pulmonary neuroendocrine tumours.
- Authors: den Bakker MA, Thunnissen FB
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- [Pulmonary neuroendocrine tumors and preneoplasic lesions].
- Authors: Rouquette Lassalle I
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Unmet Needs in High-Grade Gastroenteropancreatic Neuroendocrine Neoplasms (WHO G3).
- Authors: Sorbye H, Baudin E, Borbath I, Caplin M, Chen J, Cwikla JB, Frilling A, Grossman A, Kaltsas G, Scarpa A, Welin S, Garcia-Carbonero R, ENETS 2016 Munich Advisory Board Participants.
- Issue date: 2019