Mesenchymal stromal cells for acute graft-versus-host disease: response at 1 week predicts probability of survival.
AffiliationKing's College London, London, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) have been successfully used for the treatment of steroid-resistant graft-versus-host-disease (GvHD). However, the lack of early predictors of clinical responses impacts on the time at which to add further treatment and consequently the design of informative clinical trials. Here, we present the UK experience of one of the largest cohorts of GvHD patients undergoing MSC infusions so far reported. We show that clinical responses assessed as early as 1 week after MSC infusion predict patients' overall survival. In our cohort, cell dose, patients' age and type of organ involvement are crucial factors associated with clinical responses.
CitationGalleu A, Milojkovic D, Deplano S, Szydlo R, Loaiza S, Wynn R, et al. Mesenchymal stromal cells for acute graft-versus-host disease: response at 1 week predicts probability of survival. Br J Haematol. 2019 Jan 13.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Survival after mesenchymal stromal cell therapy in steroid-refractory acute graft-versus-host disease: systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Hashmi S, Ahmed M, Murad MH, Litzow MR, Adams RH, Ball LM, Prasad VK, Kebriaei P, Ringden O
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Mesenchymal stromal cells as treatment or prophylaxis for acute or chronic graft-versus-host disease in haematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) recipients with a haematological condition.
- Authors: Fisher SA, Cutler A, Doree C, Brunskill SJ, Stanworth SJ, Navarrete C, Girdlestone J
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 30
- Treatment of severe steroid resistant acute GVHD with mesenchymal stromal cells (MSC).
- Authors: Resnick IB, Barkats C, Shapira MY, Stepensky P, Bloom AI, Shimoni A, Mankuta D, Varda-Bloom N, Rheingold L, Yeshurun M, Bielorai B, Toren A, Zuckerman T, Nagler A, Or R
- Issue date: 2013
- Multiple infusions of mesenchymal stromal cells induce sustained remission in children with steroid-refractory, grade III-IV acute graft-versus-host disease.
- Authors: Ball LM, Bernardo ME, Roelofs H, van Tol MJ, Contoli B, Zwaginga JJ, Avanzini MA, Conforti A, Bertaina A, Giorgiani G, Jol-van der Zijde CM, Zecca M, Le Blanc K, Frassoni F, Egeler RM, Fibbe WE, Lankester AC, Locatelli F
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- The Potential of Mesenchymal Stromal Cells as Treatment for Severe Steroid-Refractory Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease: A Critical Review of the Literature.
- Authors: Munneke JM, Spruit MJ, Cornelissen AS, van Hoeven V, Voermans C, Hazenberg MD
- Issue date: 2016 Nov