BA08: An open-label, single-arm, non-randomised, phase 2 trial of cisplatin, methotrexate and vinblastine (CMV) for pure squamous cell cancer of the urinary tract.
AffiliationSouthampton Clinical Trials Unit, University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Pure squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the urinary tract is rare in the UK and has a poor prognosis compared with transitional cell carcinoma (TCC). Cisplatin based chemotherapy has been shown to be effective in TCC. METHODS: Patients with T3-T4, pelvic relapsed, nodal or metastatic SCC of the urinary tract were recruited into an open-label, single-arm, non-randomised, phase 2 trial evaluating the activity and safety of cisplatin, methotrexate and vinblastine (CMV) chemotherapy. CMV was given as three 21-day cycles of methotrexate 30mg/m2 (day 1 & 8), vinblastine 4mg/m2 (day 1 & 8) and cisplatin 100mg/m2 (day 2). RESULTS: 38 patients were recruited. Overall response was 39% (95% CI 24%, 55%)-13% CR and 26% PR. Median OS was 7.8 months (95% CI 3.4, 12.6) with 39% 1-year survival. Toxicity was acceptable. CONCLUSION: CMV is well tolerated and active in patients with pure SCC of the urinary tract.
CitationGriffiths GO, Cowan RA, Grigor KM, Uscinska BM, Sydes M, Russell M. BA08: An open-label, single-arm, non-randomised, phase 2 trial of cisplatin, methotrexate and vinblastine (CMV) for pure squamous cell cancer of the urinary tract. PLoS One. 2019;14(1):e0210785.
- A randomized trial comparing methotrexate and vinblastine (MV) with cisplatin, methotrexate and vinblastine (CMV) in advanced transitional cell carcinoma: results and a report on prognostic factors in a Medical Research Council study. MRC Advanced Bladder Cancer Working Party.
- Authors: Mead GM, Russell M, Clark P, Harland SJ, Harper PG, Cowan R, Roberts JT, Uscinska BM, Griffiths GO, Parmar MK
- Issue date: 1998 Oct
- Phase II trial of intermediate dose methotrexate in combination with vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin in patients with unresectable or metastatic transitional cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Dodd PM, McCaffrey JA, Mazumdar M, Scher H, Vlamis V, Higgins G, Herr H, Bajorin DF
- Issue date: 1999 Mar 1
- Methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin for advanced transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium. Efficacy and patterns of response and relapse.
- Authors: Sternberg CN, Yagoda A, Scher HI, Watson RC, Geller N, Herr HW, Morse MJ, Sogani PC, Vaughan ED, Bander N
- Issue date: 1989 Dec 15
- Combination chemotherapy of cisplatin, methotrexate, vinblastine, and high-dose tamoxifen for transitional cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Hsu CH, Chen J, Wu CY, Cheng AL, Pu YS
- Issue date: 2001 Jan-Feb
- Cisplatin-based chemotherapy for the treatment of advanced transitional-cell carcinoma of the urinary tract--a preliminary report.
- Authors: Lee MH, Chen MT, Chen KK, Lin AT, Lee YH, Lee LM, Chang YM, Chang LS, Liu JM, Hsieh RK
- Issue date: 1992