NAPOLI-1 phase 3 study of liposomal irinotecan in metastatic pancreatic cancer: final overall survival analysis and characteristics of long-term survivors.
AffiliationWashington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Liposomal irinotecan (nal-IRI) plus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin (5-FU/LV) is approved for patients with metastatic pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (mPDAC) previously treated with gemcitabine-based therapy. This approval was based on significantly improved median overall survival compared with 5-FU/LV alone (6.1 vs 4.2 months; hazard ratio [HR], 0.67) in the global phase 3 NAPOLI-1 trial. Here, we report the final survival analysis and baseline characteristics associated with long-term survivors (survival of ?1 year) in the NAPOLI-1 trial. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients with mPDAC were randomised to receive nal-IRI + 5-FU/LV (n = 117), nal-IRI (n = 151), or 5-FU/LV (n = 149) for the first 4 weeks of 6-week cycles. Baseline characteristics and efficacy in the overall population were compared with those in patients who survived ?1 year. Through 16th November 2015, 382 overall survival events had occurred. RESULTS: The overall survival advantage for nal-IRI+5-FU/LV vs 5-FU/LV was maintained from the original nanoliposomal irinotecan with fluorouracil and folinic acid in metastatic pancreatic cancer after previous gemcitabine-based therapy (NAPOLI-1) analysis (6.2 vs 4.2 months, respectively; HR, 0.75; 95% confidence interval: 0.57-0.99). Median progression-free survival, objective response rate and disease control rate also favoured nal-IRI+5-FU/LV therapy. Estimated one-year overall survival rates were 26% with nal-IRI+5-FU/LV and 16% with 5-FU/LV. Baseline characteristics associated with long-term survival in the nal-IRI+5-FU/LV arm were Karnofsky performance status ?90, age ?65 years, lower CA19-9 levels, neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio ?5 and no liver metastases. No new safety concerns were detected. CONCLUSIONS: The survival benefits of nal-IRI+5-FU/LV versus 5-FU/LV were maintained over an extended follow-up, and prognostic markers of survival ?1 year were identified.
CitationWang-Gillam A, Hubner RA, Siveke JT, Von Hoff DD, Belanger B, de Jong FA, et al. NAPOLI-1 phase 3 study of liposomal irinotecan in metastatic pancreatic cancer: final overall survival analysis and characteristics of long-term survivors. Eur J Cancer. 2019 Feb;108:78-87.
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Nanoliposomal irinotecan with fluorouracil for the treatment of advanced pancreatic cancer, a single institution experience.
- Authors: Glassman DC, Palmaira RL, Covington CM, Desai AM, Ku GY, Li J, Harding JJ, Varghese AM, O'Reilly EM, Yu KH
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 27
- Survival with nal-IRI (liposomal irinotecan) plus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin versus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin in per-protocol and non-per-protocol populations of NAPOLI-1: Expanded analysis of a global phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Chen LT, Siveke JT, Wang-Gillam A, Li CP, Bodoky G, Dean AP, Shan YS, Jameson GS, Macarulla T, Lee KH, Cunningham D, Blanc JF, Chiu CF, Schwartsmann G, Braiteh FS, Mamlouk K, Belanger B, de Jong FA, Hubner RA
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Development of nanoliposomal irinotecan (nal-IRI, MM-398, PEP02) in the management of metastatic pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Chiang NJ, Chang JY, Shan YS, Chen LT
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Nomogram for Predicting Survival in Patients Treated with Liposomal Irinotecan Plus Fluorouracil and Leucovorin in Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer.
- Authors: Chen LT, Macarulla T, Blanc JF, Mirakhur B, Jong FA, Belanger B, Bekaii-Saab T, Siveke JT
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 28
- Liposomal irinotecan and 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin in older patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer - A subgroup analysis of the pivotal NAPOLI-1 trial.
- Authors: Macarulla T, Blanc JF, Wang-Gillam A, Chen LT, Siveke JT, Mirakhur B, Chen J, de Jong FA
- Issue date: 2019 May