Survival of women with early stage cervical cancer in the UK treated with minimal access and open surgery.
AffiliationLancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal Preston Hospital, Sharoe Green Unit, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe recent publication of two papers and an editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) has caused consternation in the gynaecological oncology community (4, 5). Both papers demonstrate a worse outcome for patients undergoing radical hysterectomy by the minimal access route compared to open surgery and thus question the dominant paradigm of the last decade that minimal access surgery is the preferred method by which to carry out radical surgery for cervical cancer. These studies raise many questions but the two most pressing are, firstly, have our patients been disadvantaged by our adoption of minimal access surgery and, secondly, how do we proceed as a gynaecological oncology community in the face of these data? This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
CitationMartin-Hirsch P, Wood N, Whitham NL, Macdonald R, Kirwan J, Anagnostopoulos A, et al. Survival of women with early stage cervical cancer in the UK treated with minimal access and open surgery. BJOG. 2019 Jan 18.
JournalBJOG : an international journal of obstetrics and gynaecology
- Survival after Minimally Invasive Radical Hysterectomy for Early-Stage Cervical Cancer.
- Authors: Melamed A, Margul DJ, Chen L, Keating NL, Del Carmen MG, Yang J, Seagle BL, Alexander A, Barber EL, Rice LW, Wright JD, Kocherginsky M, Shahabi S, Rauh-Hain JA
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 15
- Minimally Invasive versus Abdominal Radical Hysterectomy for Cervical Cancer.
- Authors: Ramirez PT, Frumovitz M, Pareja R, Lopez A, Vieira M, Ribeiro R, Buda A, Yan X, Shuzhong Y, Chetty N, Isla D, Tamura M, Zhu T, Robledo KP, Gebski V, Asher R, Behan V, Nicklin JL, Coleman RL, Obermair A
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 15
- Adjuvant platinum-based chemotherapy for early stage cervical cancer.
- Authors: Falcetta FS, Medeiros LR, Edelweiss MI, Pohlmann PR, Stein AT, Rosa DD
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 22
- Hysterectomy with radiotherapy or chemotherapy or both for women with locally advanced cervical cancer.
- Authors: Kokka F, Bryant A, Brockbank E, Powell M, Oram D
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 7
- Laparoscopically assisted radical vaginal hysterectomy versus radical abdominal hysterectomy for the treatment of early cervical cancer.
- Authors: Kucukmetin A, Biliatis I, Naik R, Bryant A
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 1