Oestradiol measurement during fulvestrant treatment for breast cancer.
Monaghan, Phillip J
Armstrong, Anne C
Higham, Claire E
Howell, Sacha J
AffiliationBiochemistry Department, Wythenshawe Hospital, Wythenshawe, M23 9LT, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBiochemical evaluation of menopausal status is used to inform treatment decisions, including clinical trial eligibility in women with oestrogen receptor positive breast cancer. However, fulvestrant may interfere with oestradiol immunoassays and confound accurate assessment in this context. We conducted a service evaluation of two immunoassays and an LC-MS/MS assay to determine the extent of the interference. Serum oestradiol levels were analysed by two immunoassays (Siemens Centaur XP and Abbott Architect) and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS). Immunoassay gave higher serum oestradiol results than LC-MS/MS at low concentrations, with improved analytical sensitivity demonstrated by LC-MS/MS. Cross-reactivity of fulvestrant was observed for each immunoassay. We have shown that two commonly used immunoassays do not demonstrate the required sensitivity or specificity for the measurement of oestradiol in a breast cancer population. For patients receiving fulvestrant, spurious results may be generated that could impact treatment decisions. LC-MS/MS is recommended in this setting.
CitationOwen LJ, Monaghan PJ, Armstrong A, Keevil BG, Higham C, Salih Z, et al. Oestradiol measurement during fulvestrant treatment for breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2019 Jan 25.
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Fulvestrant falsely elevates oestradiol levels in immunoassays in postmenopausal women with breast cancer.
- Authors: Samuel E, Chiang C, Jennens R, Faulkner D, Francis PA
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Optimization of oestradiol assays to improve utility in an in vitro fertilization setting.
- Authors: Peavey M, Akbas N, Gibbons W, Zarutskie P, Devaraj S
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- A rapid direct assay for the routine measurement of oestradiol and oestrone by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Owen LJ, Wu FC, Keevil BG
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Comparison of Six Automated Immunoassays With Isotope-Diluted Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry for Total Thyroxine Measurement.
- Authors: Yu S, Zhou W, Cheng X, Meng Q, Li H, Hou L, Lu J, Xie S, Cheng Q, Zhang C, Qiu L
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- State-of-the-art vitamin D assays: a comparison of automated immunoassays with liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry methods.
- Authors: Farrell CJ, Martin S, McWhinney B, Straub I, Williams P, Herrmann M
- Issue date: 2012 Mar