Early stage anal margin cancer: towards evidence-based management.
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAnal squamous cell carcinoma is an uncommon Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)-related malignancy, the incidence of which has increased two- to four-fold over the past three decades. Results from the first three phase III trials, performed in the 1990s (the largest being the ACT I trial in the UK), established concurrent mitomycin C (MMC), 5-fluorouracil chemotherapy and radiotherapy (CRT) as the main primary treatment. Three subsequent trials (including ACT II in the UK, performed between 1998 and 2008, demonstrated evidence of no benefit from the use of additional chemotherapy before or after CRT, or concurrent cisplatin. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
CitationRenehan AG, Muirhead R, Berkman L, McParland L, Sebag-Montefiore D, PLATO trial management group. Early stage anal margin cancer: towards evidence-based management. Colorectal Dis. 2019 Jan 27.
- Tumour- and treatment-related colostomy rates following mitomycin C or cisplatin chemoradiation with or without maintenance chemotherapy in squamous cell carcinoma of the anus in the ACT II trial.
- Authors: Glynne-Jones R, Kadalayil L, Meadows HM, Cunningham D, Samuel L, Geh JI, Lowdell C, James R, Beare S, Begum R, Ledermann JA, Sebag-Montefiore D, ACT II Study Group.
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Combined-modality treatment for anal cancer: current strategies and future directions.
- Authors: Fraunholz I, Rabeneck D, Weiss C, Rödel C
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Advances in the Management of Anal Cancer.
- Authors: Julie DR, Goodman KA
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Pilot study of FMC (5-fluorouracil, mitomycin C, and cisplatin) with radiotherapy for patients with anal cancer.
- Authors: Lee IH, Lee SJ, Kang BW, Chae YS, Baek D, Hwang S, Kim HJ, Park SY, Park JS, Choi GS, Kim JC, Kim JG
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Mitomycin or cisplatin chemoradiation with or without maintenance chemotherapy for treatment of squamous-cell carcinoma of the anus (ACT II): a randomised, phase 3, open-label, 2 × 2 factorial trial.
- Authors: James RD, Glynne-Jones R, Meadows HM, Cunningham D, Myint AS, Saunders MP, Maughan T, McDonald A, Essapen S, Leslie M, Falk S, Wilson C, Gollins S, Begum R, Ledermann J, Kadalayil L, Sebag-Montefiore D
- Issue date: 2013 May