General information for patients and carers considering haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) for severe autoimmune diseases (ADs): a position statement from the EBMT Autoimmune Diseases Working Party (ADWP), the EBMT Nurses Group, the EBMT Patient, Family and Donor Committee and the Joint Accreditation Committee of ISCT and EBMT (JACIE).
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOver the last 20 years, haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) has been used to treat patients with severe autoimmune and inflammatory diseases whose response to standard treatment options has been limited, resulting in a poor long-term prognosis in terms of survival or disability. The vast majority of patients have received autologous HSCT where an increasing evidence-base supports its use in a wide range of autoimmune diseases, particularly relapsing remitting MS, systemic sclerosis and Crohn's disease. Compared with standard treatments for autoimmune diseases, HSCT is associated with greater short-term risks, including a risk of treatment-related mortality and long-term complications. There is a need for a careful appraisal of potential benefits and risks by disease and transplant specialists working closely together with patients and carers to determine individual suitability for HSCT. HSCT should be conducted in accredited transplant centres with robust arrangements for long-term follow-up with both disease and transplant specialists. The aim of this open-access position statement is to provide plainly worded guidance for patients and non-specialist clinicians considering HSCT for an autoimmune disease, especially when treatment abroad is being considered. Recent technical publications in the field have been referenced to support the statement and provide more detail for clinicians advising patients.
CitationJessop H, Farge D, Saccardi R, Alexander T, Rovira M, Sharrack B, et al. General information for patients and carers considering haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) for severe autoimmune diseases (ADs): a position statement from the EBMT Autoimmune Diseases Working Party (ADWP), the EBMT Nurses Group, the EBMT Patient, Family and Donor Committee and the Joint Accreditation Committee of ISCT and EBMT (JACIE). Bone Marrow Transplant. 2019 Jan 31.
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
- Autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplantation and other cellular therapy in multiple sclerosis and immune-mediated neurological diseases: updated guidelines and recommendations from the EBMT Autoimmune Diseases Working Party (ADWP) and the Joint Accreditation Committee of EBMT and ISCT (JACIE).
- Authors: Sharrack B, Saccardi R, Alexander T, Badoglio M, Burman J, Farge D, Greco R, Jessop H, Kazmi M, Kirgizov K, Labopin M, Mancardi G, Martin R, Moore J, Muraro PA, Rovira M, Sormani MP, Snowden JA, European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT) Autoimmune Diseases Working Party (ADWP) and the Joint Accreditation Committee of the International Society for Cellular Therapy (ISCT) and EBMT (JACIE).
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- JACIE and Quality Management in HSCT: Implications for Nursing
- Authors: Charley C, Babic A, Arraut IB, Ferrero I, Kenyon M, Babic A
- Issue date: 2018
- Haematopoietic SCT in severe autoimmune diseases: updated guidelines of the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation.
- Authors: Snowden JA, Saccardi R, Allez M, Ardizzone S, Arnold R, Cervera R, Denton C, Hawkey C, Labopin M, Mancardi G, Martin R, Moore JJ, Passweg J, Peters C, Rabusin M, Rovira M, van Laar JM, Farge D, EBMT Autoimmune Disease Working Party (ADWP)., Paediatric Diseases Working Party (PDWP).
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Allogeneic HSCT for Autoimmune Diseases: A Retrospective Study From the EBMT ADWP, IEWP, and PDWP Working Parties.
- Authors: Greco R, Labopin M, Badoglio M, Veys P, Furtado Silva JM, Abinun M, Gualandi F, Bornhauser M, Ciceri F, Saccardi R, Lankester A, Alexander T, Gennery AR, Bader P, Farge D, Snowden JA
- Issue date: 2019
- Benchmarking of survival outcomes following haematopoietic stem cell transplantation: A review of existing processes and the introduction of an international system from the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT) and the Joint Accreditation Committee of ISCT and EBMT (JACIE).
- Authors: Snowden JA, Saccardi R, Orchard K, Ljungman P, Duarte RF, Labopin M, McGrath E, Brook N, de Elvira CR, Gordon D, Poirel HA, Ayuk F, Beguin Y, Bonifazi F, Gratwohl A, Milpied N, Moore J, Passweg J, Rizzo JD, Spellman SR, Sierra J, Solano C, Sanchez-Guijo F, Worel N, Gusi A, Adams G, Balan T, Baldomero H, Macq G, Marry E, Mesnil F, Oldani E, Pearce R, Perry J, Raus N, Schanz U, Tran S, Wilcox L, Basak GW, Chabannon C, Corbacioglu S, Dolstra H, Kuball J, Mohty M, Lankester A, Montoto S, Nagler A, Styczynski J, Yakoub-Agha I, de Latour RP, Kroeger N, Brand R, de Wreede LC, van Zwet E, Putter H
- Issue date: 2020 Apr