Driving developments in UK oesophageal radiotherapy through the SCOPE trials.
AffiliationSouth West Wales Cancer Centre, Swansea, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: The SCOPE trials (SCOPE 1, NeoSCOPE and SCOPE 2) have been the backbone of oesophageal RT trials in the UK. Many changes in oesophageal RT techniques have taken place in this time. The SCOPE trials have, in addition to adopting these new techniques, been influential in aiding centres with their implementation. We discuss the progress made through the SCOPE trials and include details of a questionnaire sent to participating centres. to establish the role that trial participation played in RT changes in their centre. METHODS: Questionnaires were sent to 47 centres, 27 were returned. RESULTS: 100% of centres stated their departmental protocol for TVD was based on the relevant SCOPE trial protocol. 4DCT use has increased from 42 to 71%. Type B planning algorithms, mandated in the NeoSCOPE trial, were used in 79.9% pre NeoSCOPE and now in 83.3%. 12.5% of centres were using a stomach filling protocol pre NeoSCOPE, now risen to 50%. CBCT was mandated for IGRT in the NeoSCOPE trial. 66.7% used this routinely pre NeoSCOPE/SCOPE 2 which has risen to 87.5% in the survey. CONCLUSION: The results of the questionnaires show how participation in national oesophageal RT trials has led to the adoption of newer RT techniques in UK centres, leading to better patient care.
CitationGwynne S, Higgins E, Poon King A, Radhakrishna G, Wills L, Mukherjee S, et al. Driving developments in UK oesophageal radiotherapy through the SCOPE trials. Radiat Oncol. 2019 Feb 4;14(1):26.
- Quality assurance of the SCOPE 1 trial in oesophageal radiotherapy.
- Authors: Wills L, Maggs R, Lewis G, Jones G, Nixon L, Staffurth J, Crosby T, SCOPE 1 trial management group and collaborators.
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 15
- Oesophageal Chemoradiotherapy in the UK--current practice and future directions.
- Authors: Gwynne S, Falk S, Gollins S, Wills L, Bateman A, Cummins S, Grabsch H, Hawkins MA, Maggs R, Mukherjee S, Radhakrishna G, Roy R, Sharma RA, Spezi E, Crosby T
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- The effect of planning algorithms in oesophageal radiotherapy in the context of the SCOPE 1 trial.
- Authors: Wills L, Millin A, Paterson J, Crosby T, Staffurth J
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Clinical impact of IMPORT HIGH trial (CRUK/06/003) on breast radiotherapy practices in the United Kingdom.
- Authors: Tsang Y, Ciurlionis L, Kirby AM, Locke I, Venables K, Yarnold JR, Titley J, Bliss J, Coles CE, IMPORT Trial Management Group.
- Issue date: 2015
- NEOSCOPE: a randomised Phase II study of induction chemotherapy followed by either oxaliplatin/capecitabine or paclitaxel/carboplatin based chemoradiation as pre-operative regimen for resectable oesophageal adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Mukherjee S, Hurt CN, Gwynne S, Bateman A, Gollins S, Radhakrishna G, Hawkins M, Canham J, Lewis W, Grabsch HI, Sharma RA, Wade W, Maggs R, Tranter B, Roberts A, Sebag-Montefiore D, Maughan T, Griffiths G, Crosby T
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 12