A phase II study of talazoparib after platinum or cytotoxic nonplatinum regimens in patients with advanced breast cancer and germline BRCA1/2 mutations (ABRAZO)
Wardley, Andrew M
AffiliationBreast Cancer Now Research Centre, Institute of Cancer Research and The Royal Marsden Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: To assess talazoparib activity in germline BRCA1/2 mutation carriers with advanced breast cancer (aBC). EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: ABRAZO (NCT02034916) was a two-cohort, two-stage, phase II study of talazoparib (1 mg/day) in germline BRCA mutation carriers with a response to prior platinum with no progression on or within 8 weeks of the last platinum dose (cohort 1) or ?3 platinum-free cytotoxic regimens (cohort 2) for aBC. Primary endpoint was confirmed objective response rate (ORR) by independent radiological assessment. RESULTS: We enrolled 84 patients (cohort 1, n = 49; cohort 2, n = 35) from May 2014 to February 2016. Median age was 50 (range, 31-75) years. Triple-negative breast cancer incidence was 59% (cohort 1) and 17% (cohort 2). Median number of prior cytotoxic regimens for aBC was two and four, respectively. Confirmed ORR was 21% (95% CI, 10 to 35) (cohort 1) and 37% (95% CI, 22 to 55) (cohort 2). Median duration of response was 5.8 and 3.8 months, respectively. Confirmed ORR was 23% (BRCA1), 33% (BRCA2), 26% (TNBC) and 29% (hormone receptor positive). The most common allgrade adverse events (AEs) included anemia (52%), fatigue (45%), and nausea (42%). Talazoparib-related AEs led to drug discontinuation in three (4%) patients. In an exploratory analysis, longer platinum-free interval was associated with higher response rate in cohort 1 (0% ORR with interval <8 weeks; 47% ORR with interval >6 months). CONCLUSIONS: Talazoparib exhibited promising antitumor activity in patients with aBC and germline BRCA mutation.
CitationTurner NC, Telli ML, Rugo HS, Mailliez A, Ettl J, Grischke EM, et al. A phase II study of talazoparib after platinum or cytotoxic nonplatinum regimens in patients with advanced breast cancer and germline BRCA1/2 mutations (ABRAZO). Clin Cancer Res. 2018 Dec 18.
JournalClincal Cancer Research
- Quality of life with talazoparib after platinum or multiple cytotoxic non-platinum regimens in patients with advanced breast cancer and germline BRCA1/2 mutations: patient-reported outcomes from the ABRAZO phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Hurvitz SA, Quek RGW, Turner NC, Telli ML, Rugo HS, Mailliez A, Ettl J, Grischke E, Mina LA, Balmaña J, Fasching PA, Bhattacharyya H, Hannah AL, Robson ME, Wardley AM
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Talazoparib in Patients with Advanced Breast Cancer and a Germline BRCA Mutation.
- Authors: Litton JK, Rugo HS, Ettl J, Hurvitz SA, Gonçalves A, Lee KH, Fehrenbacher L, Yerushalmi R, Mina LA, Martin M, Roché H, Im YH, Quek RGW, Markova D, Tudor IC, Hannah AL, Eiermann W, Blum JL
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 23
- Rucaparib in relapsed, platinum-sensitive high-grade ovarian carcinoma (ARIEL2 Part 1): an international, multicentre, open-label, phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Swisher EM, Lin KK, Oza AM, Scott CL, Giordano H, Sun J, Konecny GE, Coleman RL, Tinker AV, O'Malley DM, Kristeleit RS, Ma L, Bell-McGuinn KM, Brenton JD, Cragun JM, Oaknin A, Ray-Coquard I, Harrell MI, Mann E, Kaufmann SH, Floquet A, Leary A, Harding TC, Goble S, Maloney L, Isaacson J, Allen AR, Rolfe L, Yelensky R, Raponi M, McNeish IA
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Phase I, Dose-Escalation, Two-Part Trial of the PARP Inhibitor Talazoparib in Patients with Advanced Germline <i>BRCA1/2</i> Mutations and Selected Sporadic Cancers.
- Authors: de Bono J, Ramanathan RK, Mina L, Chugh R, Glaspy J, Rafii S, Kaye S, Sachdev J, Heymach J, Smith DC, Henshaw JW, Herriott A, Patterson M, Curtin NJ, Byers LA, Wainberg ZA
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Phase 2 multicentre trial investigating intermittent and continuous dosing schedules of the poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor rucaparib in germline BRCA mutation carriers with advanced ovarian and breast cancer.
- Authors: Drew Y, Ledermann J, Hall G, Rea D, Glasspool R, Highley M, Jayson G, Sludden J, Murray J, Jamieson D, Halford S, Acton G, Backholer Z, Mangano R, Boddy A, Curtin N, Plummer R
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 29