Prognostic and predictive biomarkers for somatostatin analogs, peptide receptor radionuclide therapy and serotonin pathway targets in neuroendocrine tumours
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, The Christie ENETS Centre of Excellence
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNeuroendocrine tumours (NETs) are a heterogeneous group of neoplasms regarding their molecular biology, clinical behaviour, prognosis and response to therapy. Several attempts to establish robust predictive biomarkers have failed. Neither tissue markers nor blood borne ones have proven to be successful yet. Circulating tumour cells (CTCs) as "liquid biopsies" could provide prognostic information at the time a therapeutic decision needs to be made and could be an attractive tool for tumour monitoring throughout the treatment period. However, "liquid biopsies" are far from becoming the standard biomarker in NETs. Promising results have been presented over the last few years using a novel biomarker candidate, a multianalyte algorithm analysis PCR-based test (NETest). New technologies will open the field to different ways of approaching the biomarker conundrum in NETs. However, the complications derived from being a heterogeneous group of malignancies will remain with us forever. In summary, there is an unmet need to incorporate new biomarker candidates into clinical research trials to obtain a robust prospective validation under the most demanding scenario.
CitationBarriuso J, Custodio A, Afonso R, Alonso V, Astudillo A, Capdevila J, et al. Prognostic and predictive biomarkers for somatostatin analogs, peptide receptor radionuclide therapy and serotonin pathway targets in neuroendocrine tumours. Cancer Treat Rev. 2018 Nov;70:209-22.
JournalCancer Treatment Reviews
- Advances in the systemic treatment of neuroendocrine tumors in the era of molecular therapy.
- Authors: Leung R, Lang B, Wong H, Chiu J, Yat WK, Shek T, Cho WY, Yau LC, Yau T
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Will clinical heterogeneity of neuroendocrine tumors impact their management in the future? Lessons from recent trials.
- Authors: Cives M, Soares HP, Strosberg J
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Somatostatin analogs for the treatment of neuroendocrine tumors.
- Authors: Culler MD, Oberg K, Arnold R, Krenning EP, Sevilla I, Díaz JA
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Circulating Transcript Analysis (NETest) in GEP-NETs Treated With Somatostatin Analogs Defines Therapy.
- Authors: Ćwikła JB, Bodei L, Kolasinska-Ćwikła A, Sankowski A, Modlin IM, Kidd M
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Prognostic and predictive role of the PI3K-AKT-mTOR pathway in neuroendocrine neoplasms.
- Authors: Gajate P, Alonso-Gordoa T, Martínez-Sáez O, Molina-Cerrillo J, Grande E
- Issue date: 2018 May