Immune checkpoint inhibitors: recent progress and potential biomarkers
AffiliationCancer Research Center, Qatar Biomedical Research Institute, College of Science and Engineering, Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Qatar Foundation, Doha, Qatar
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCancer growth and progression are associated with immune suppression. Cancer cells have the ability to activate different immune checkpoint pathways that harbor immunosuppressive functions. Monoclonal antibodies that target immune checkpoints provided an immense breakthrough in cancer therapeutics. Among the immune checkpoint inhibitors, PD-1/PD-L1 and CTLA-4 inhibitors showed promising therapeutic outcomes, and some have been approved for certain cancer treatments, while others are under clinical trials. Recent reports have shown that patients with various malignancies benefit from immune checkpoint inhibitor treatment. However, mainstream initiation of immune checkpoint therapy to treat cancers is obstructed by the low response rate and immune-related adverse events in some cancer patients. This has given rise to the need for developing sets of biomarkers that predict the response to immune checkpoint blockade and immune-related adverse events. In this review, we discuss different predictive biomarkers for anti-PD-1/PD-L1 and anti-CTLA-4 inhibitors, including immune cells, PD-L1 overexpression, neoantigens, and genetic and epigenetic signatures. Potential approaches for further developing highly reliable predictive biomarkers should facilitate patient selection for and decision-making related to immune checkpoint inhibitor-based therapies.
CitationDarvin P, Toor SM, Sasidharan NV, Elkord E. Immune checkpoint inhibitors: recent progress and potential biomarkers. Exp Mol Med. 2018 Dec 13;50(12):165.
JournalExperimental and Molecular Medicine
- Biomarkers for checkpoint inhibition in hematologic malignancies.
- Authors: Atanackovic D, Luetkens T
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- The Next Immune-Checkpoint Inhibitors: PD-1/PD-L1 Blockade in Melanoma.
- Authors: Mahoney KM, Freeman GJ, McDermott DF
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 1
- Immune Checkpoint Blockade in Breast Cancer Therapy.
- Authors: Bu X, Yao Y, Li X
- Issue date: 2017
- Immune checkpoint inhibition in ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Hamanishi J, Mandai M, Konishi I
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Current status and perspectives in translational biomarker research for PD-1/PD-L1 immune checkpoint blockade therapy.
- Authors: Ma W, Gilligan BM, Yuan J, Li T
- Issue date: 2016 May 27