One-to-one registration of en-face optical coherence tomography attenuation coefficients with histology of a prostatectomy specimen
van Kollenburg, RAA
de Bruin, DM
van Leeuwen, TG
van Herk, Marcel
AffiliationDepartment of Urology, Amsterdam UMC, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOptical coherence tomography (OCT), enables high-resolution 3D imaging of the morphology of light scattering tissues. From the OCT signal, parameters can be extracted and related to tissue structures. One of the quantitative parameters is the attenuation coefficient; the rate at which the intensity of detected light decays in depth. To couple the quantitative parameters with the histology one-to-one registration is needed. The primary aim of this study is to validate a registration method of quantitative OCT parameters to histological tissue outcome through one-to-one registration of OCT with histology. We matched OCT images of unstained fixated prostate tissue slices with corresponding histology slides, wherein different histologic types were demarcated. Attenuation coefficients were determined by a supervised automated exponential fit (corrected for point spread function and sensitivity roll-off related signal losses) over a depth of 0.32?mm starting from 0.10 mm below the automatically detected tissue edge. Finally, the attenuation coefficients corresponding to the different tissue types of the prostate were compared. From the attenuation coefficients, we produced the squared relative residue and goodness-of-fit metric R2 . This article explains the method to perform supervised automated quantitative analysis of OCT data, and the one-to-one registration of OCT extracted quantitative data with histopathological outcomes.
CitationSwaan A, Muller BG, Wilk LS, Almasian M, van Kollenburg RAA, Zwartkruis E, et al. One-to-one registration of en-face optical coherence tomography attenuation coefficients with histology of a prostatectomy specimen. J biophotonics. 2018 Nov 22:e201800274.
JournalJournal of Biophotonics
- En-face optical coherence tomography for the detection of cancer in prostatectomy specimens: Quantitative analysis in 20 patients.
- Authors: Swaan A, Muller BG, Wilk LS, Almasian M, Zwartkruis ECH, Rozendaal LR, de Bruin DM, Faber DJ, van Leeuwen TG, van Herk MB
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Needle-based optical coherence tomography for the detection of prostate cancer: a visual and quantitative analysis in 20 patients.
- Authors: Muller BG, van Kollenburg RAA, Swaan A, Zwartkruis ECH, Brandt MJ, Wilk LS, Almasian M, Schreurs AW, Faber DJ, Rozendaal LR, Vis AN, Nieuwenhuijzen JA, van Moorselaar JRJA, de la Rosette JJMCH, de Bruin DM, van Leeuwen TG
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Prostate cancer diagnosis: the feasibility of needle-based optical coherence tomography.
- Authors: Muller BG, de Bruin DM, van den Bos W, Brandt MJ, Velu JF, Bus MT, Faber DJ, Savci D, Zondervan PJ, de Reijke TM, Pes PL, de la Rosette J, van Leeuwen TG
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Prostate cancer diagnosis by optical coherence tomography: First results from a needle based optical platform for tissue sampling.
- Authors: Muller BG, de Bruin DM, Brandt MJ, van den Bos W, van Huystee S, Faber DJ, Savci D, Zondervan PJ, de Reijke TM, Laguna-Pes MP, van Leeuwen TG, de la Rosette JJ
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Technical Note: Method to correlate whole-specimen histopathology of radical prostatectomy with diagnostic MR imaging.
- Authors: McGrath DM, Lee J, Foltz WD, Samavati N, Jewett MA, van der Kwast T, Chung P, Ménard C, Brock KK
- Issue date: 2016 Mar