Ultraviolet radiation-induced DNA damage is prognostic for outcome in melanoma.
AuthorsTrucco, Lucas D
Mundra, Piyushkumar A
Mandal, Amit Kumar
Cook, Martin G
AffiliationMolecular Oncology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractErratum in Publisher Correction: Ultraviolet radiation-induced DNA damage is prognostic for outcome in melanoma. [Nat Med. 2018] Abstract The melanoma genome is dominated by ultraviolet radiation (UVR)-induced mutations. Their relevance in disease progression is unknown. Here we classify melanomas by mutation signatures and identify ten recurrently mutated UVR signature genes that predict patient survival. We validate these findings in primary human melanomas; in mice we show that this signature is imprinted by short-wavelength UVR and that four exposures to UVR are sufficient to accelerate melanomagenesis.
CitationTrucco LD, Mundra PA, Hogan K, Garcia-Martinez P, Viros A, Mandal AK, et al. Ultraviolet radiation-induced DNA damage is prognostic for outcome in melanoma. Nat Med. 2018 Dec 3.
- Unexpected UVR and non-UVR mutation burden in some acral and cutaneous melanomas.
- Authors: Rawson RV, Johansson PA, Hayward NK, Waddell N, Patch AM, Lo S, Pearson JV, Thompson JF, Mann GJ, Scolyer RA, Wilmott JS
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Murine melanomas accelerated by a single UVR exposure carry photoproduct footprints but lack UV signature C>T mutations in critical genes.
- Authors: Mukhopadhyay P, Ferguson B, Muller HK, Handoko HY, Walker GJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 23
- Ultraviolet radiation accelerates BRAF-driven melanomagenesis by targeting TP53.
- Authors: Viros A, Sanchez-Laorden B, Pedersen M, Furney SJ, Rae J, Hogan K, Ejiama S, Girotti MR, Cook M, Dhomen N, Marais R
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 24
- BRAF mutation status in primary and metastatic melanomas in two regions with differing potential ultraviolet radiation exposure.
- Authors: Massad C, Loya A, Taraif S, Saroufim M, Kibbi AG, Habib R, Novy M, Rauscher B, Oberkanins C, Khalifeh I
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Reduced expression of IL-18 is a marker of ultraviolet radiation-induced melanomas.
- Authors: Hacker E, Muller K, Whiteman DC, Pavey S, Hayward N, Walker G
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 1