van Herk, Marcel
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMotion and uncertainty in radiotherapy is traditionally handled via margins. The clinical target volume (CTV) is expanded to a larger planning target volume (PTV), which is irradiated to the prescribed dose. However, the PTV concept has several limitations, especially in proton therapy. Therefore, robust and probabilistic optimization methods have been developed that directly incorporate motion and uncertainty into treatment plan optimization for intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) and intensity modulated proton therapy (IMPT). Thereby, the explicit definition of a PTV becomes obsolete and treatment plan optimization is directly based on the CTV. Initial work focused on random and systematic setup errors in IMRT. Later, inter-fraction prostate motion and intra-fraction lung motion became a research focus. Over the past ten years, IMPT has emerged as a new application for robust planning methods. In proton therapy, range or setup errors may lead to dose degradation and misalignment of dose contributions from different beams - a problem that cannot generally be addressed by margins. Therefore, IMPT has led to the first implementations of robust planning methods in commercial planning systems, making these methods available for clinical use. This paper first summarizes the limitations of the PTV concept. Subsequently, robust optimization methods are introduced and their applications in IMRT and IMPT planning are reviewed.
CitationUnkelbach J, Alber M, Bangert M, Bokrantz R, Chan T, Deasy J, et al. Robust radiotherapy planning. Phys Med Biol. 2018 Nov 12;63(22):22.
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Effectiveness of robust optimization in intensity-modulated proton therapy planning for head and neck cancers.
- Authors: Liu W, Frank SJ, Li X, Li Y, Park PC, Dong L, Ronald Zhu X, Mohan R
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Robust Proton Treatment Planning: Physical and Biological Optimization.
- Authors: Unkelbach J, Paganetti H
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Multi-scenario based robust intensity-modulated proton therapy (IMPT) plans can account for set-up errors more effectively in terms of normal tissue sparing than planning target volume (PTV) based intensity-modulated photon plans in the head and neck region.
- Authors: Stuschke M, Kaiser A, Abu Jawad J, Pöttgen C, Levegrün S, Farr J
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 18
- PTV-based IMPT optimization incorporating planning risk volumes vs robust optimization.
- Authors: Liu W, Frank SJ, Li X, Li Y, Zhu RX, Mohan R
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Robust treatment planning with conditional value at risk chance constraints in intensity-modulated proton therapy.
- Authors: An Y, Liang J, Schild SE, Bues M, Liu W
- Issue date: 2017 Jan