A real-world study of cardiac events in > 3700 patients with HER2-positive early breast cancer treated with trastuzumab: final analysis of the OHERA study.
AffiliationKarolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: Cardiac dysfunction risk associated with intravenous trastuzumab (H IV) treatment may differ in real-world practice versus randomized trials. We investigated cardiac events in patients with HER2-positive early breast cancer (EBC) treated with H IV as adjuvant therapy in routine practice. METHODS: The observational study of cardiac events in patients with HER2-positive EBC treated with Herceptin (OHERA; NCT01152606) enrolled patients with stage I-IIIb disease eligible for H IV in the adjuvant setting per the European Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC). Primary outcomes were symptomatic congestive heart failure incidence (CHF; New York Heart Association class II-IV) and cardiac death. Patient visits/assessments were per local practice. RESULTS: 3733 Patients received???1 H IV dose per local practice; 88.9% received H IV for >?300 days (median follow-up: ~ 5 years). Prior to disease recurrence (if any), symptomatic CHF occurred in 106 patients (2.8%); 6 (0.2%) cardiac deaths occurred (5 in patients with cardiac disease history). Median time to symptomatic CHF onset was 5.7 months (95% CI 5.3-6.5); 77/106 (72.6%) patients with symptomatic CHF achieved resolution. CHF incidence was higher in patients???65 years, and those with pre-existing cardiac conditions, hypertension, or left ventricular ejection fraction???55% at baseline. CONCLUSIONS: OHERA is the largest prospective observational study to investigate the cardiac safety of H IV as adjuvant EBC therapy in a real-world setting. Symptomatic CHF and cardiac event incidences were consistent with randomized trials in this setting and baseline risk factors identified in the H IV European SmPC.
CitationLidbrink E, Chmielowska E, Otremba B, Bouhlel A, Lauer S, Liste Hermoso M, et al. A real-world study of cardiac events in > 3700 patients with HER2-positive early breast cancer treated with trastuzumab: final analysis of the OHERA study. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018 Nov 30.
JournalBreast Cancer Res Treat
- Cardiac Safety of Dual Anti-HER2 Therapy in the Neoadjuvant Setting for Treatment of HER2-Positive Breast Cancer.
- Authors: Yu AF, Singh JC, Wang R, Liu JE, Eaton A, Oeffinger KC, Steingart RM, Hudis CA, Dang CT
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Role of hypertension on new onset congestive heart failure in patients receiving trastuzumab therapy for breast cancer.
- Authors: Russo G, Cioffi G, Gori S, Tuccia F, Boccardi L, Khoury G, Lestuzzi C, Maurea N, Oliva S, Faggiano P, Tarantini L, ICARO (Italian CARdio-Oncological) Network.
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Cardiotoxicity and Cardiac Monitoring During Adjuvant Trastuzumab in Daily Dutch Practice: A Study of the Southeast Netherlands Breast Cancer Consortium.
- Authors: Seferina SC, de Boer M, Derksen MW, van den Berkmortel F, van Kampen RJ, van de Wouw AJ, Joore M, Peer PG, Voogd AC, Tjan-Heijnen VC
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Risk of Congestive Heart Failure in Early Breast Cancer Patients Undergoing Adjuvant Treatment With Trastuzumab: A Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Long HD, Lin YE, Zhang JJ, Zhong WZ, Zheng RN
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Trastuzumab-associated cardiac events at 8 years of median follow-up in the Herceptin Adjuvant trial (BIG 1-01).
- Authors: de Azambuja E, Procter MJ, van Veldhuisen DJ, Agbor-Tarh D, Metzger-Filho O, Steinseifer J, Untch M, Smith IE, Gianni L, Baselga J, Jackisch C, Cameron DA, Bell R, Leyland-Jones B, Dowsett M, Gelber RD, Piccart-Gebhart MJ, Suter TM
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 10