Urgent need for consensus: international survey of clinical practice exploring use of platinum-etoposide chemotherapy for advanced extra-pulmonary high grade neuroendocrine carcinoma (EP-G3-NEC).
McNamara, Mairéad G
Hubner, Richard A
Valle, Juan W
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Platinum-etoposide (PE) chemotherapy (CH) is a globally established combination for extra-pulmonary high grade neuroendocrine carcinoma (EP-G3-NEC); the optimal schedule has not been established. METHODS: An international survey was designed, and completed by clinicians with an expertise in the field to assess consistency in clinical practice. RESULTS: Seventy-five replies were received (June-Nov'17). A minority of physicians (13; 17.6%) did not take Ki-67 or morphology (9; 12.0%) into consideration for selection of CH. Most (72; 96.0%) selected PE-CH as first-line treatment for EP-G3-NEC. CH schedules varied: cisplatin-based (37/71; 52.1%), carboplatin-based (34/71; 47.9%); intravenous etoposide (64/71; 90.1%), oral etoposide (7/71; 9.9%). Choice of second-line CH depended on time to progression on PE-based first-line: if?>?6 months, re-challenge with PE was the preferred choice (34; 45.9%); if?<?6 months, alternative combinations such as fluoropyrimidine/irinotecan (21; 29.2%) or temozolomide/capecitabine (22; 30.6%) were used. CONCLUSION: Significant variation in PE regimen employed exists. Standardising clinical practice would facilitate clinical trial development.
CitationLamarca A, Frizziero M, Barriuso J, McNamara M, Hubner R, Valle J. Urgent need for consensus: international survey of clinical practice exploring use of platinum-etoposide chemotherapy for advanced extra-pulmonary high grade neuroendocrine carcinoma (EP-G3-NEC). Clin Transl Oncol. 2018 Nov 30.
JournalClin Transl Oncol
- Neuroendocrine Cancer, Therapeutic Strategies in G3 Cancers.
- Authors: Rinke A, Gress TM
- Issue date: 2017
- Characteristics and treatment of patients with G3 gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms.
- Authors: Heetfeld M, Chougnet CN, Olsen IH, Rinke A, Borbath I, Crespo G, Barriuso J, Pavel M, O'Toole D, Walter T, other Knowledge Network members.
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Multicenter retrospective analysis of systemic chemotherapy for advanced neuroendocrine carcinoma of the digestive system.
- Authors: Yamaguchi T, Machida N, Morizane C, Kasuga A, Takahashi H, Sudo K, Nishina T, Tobimatsu K, Ishido K, Furuse J, Boku N, Okusaka T
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Amrubicin Monotherapy for Patients with Platinum-Refractory Gastroenteropancreatic Neuroendocrine Carcinoma.
- Authors: Ando T, Hosokawa A, Yoshita H, Ueda A, Kajiura S, Mihara H, Nanjo S, Fujinami H, Nishikawa J, Ogawa K, Nakajima T, Imura J, Sugiyama T
- Issue date: 2015
- Chemotherapy for advanced poorly differentiated pancreatic neuroendocrine carcinoma.
- Authors: Ikeda M, Okuyama H, Takahashi H, Ohno I, Shimizu S, Mitsunaga S, Kondo S, Morizane C, Ueno H, Okusaka T
- Issue date: 2015 Aug