Predictive biomarkers of response for immune checkpoint inhibitors in non-small-cell lung cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK;
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImmune checkpoint blockade has been a pivotal development in the management of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Although durable antitumour activity and improved survival have been observed in a subset of patients, there is a need for additional predictive biomarkers to improve patient selection and avoid toxicity in potential non-responders. This review will address the use and limitations of tumour programmed death-ligand 1 expression as a predictive biomarker and review emerging biomarker strategies specifically related to NSCLC including genetic alterations (tumour mutation burden, loss and gain activated mutations), tumour-related factors (tumour microenvironment) and factors related to the host immune system. Novel approaches in biomarker detection such as peripheral blood monitoring will also be reviewed.
CitationPrelaj A, Tay R, Ferrara R, Chaput N, Besse B, Califano R. Predictive biomarkers of response for immune checkpoint inhibitors in non-small-cell lung cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2018 Dec 4;106:144-59.
JournalEur J Cancer
- Programmed cell death ligand-1 (PD-L1) as a biomarker for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treatment-are we barking up the wrong tree?
- Authors: Dempke WCM, Fenchel K, Dale SP
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Biomarkers for PD-1/PD-L1 Blockade Therapy in Non-Small-cell Lung Cancer: Is PD-L1 Expression a Good Marker for Patient Selection?
- Authors: Chae YK, Pan A, Davis AA, Raparia K, Mohindra NA, Matsangou M, Giles FJ
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- The clinical utility of tumor mutational burden in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Greillier L, Tomasini P, Barlesi F
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Tumor mutational burden assessment as a predictive biomarker for immunotherapy in lung cancer patients: getting ready for prime-time or not?
- Authors: Heeke S, Hofman P
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Current status and perspectives in translational biomarker research for PD-1/PD-L1 immune checkpoint blockade therapy.
- Authors: Ma W, Gilligan BM, Yuan J, Li T
- Issue date: 2016 May 27