The p38 alpha stress kinase suppresses aneuploidy tolerance by inhibiting Hif-1 alpha.
Thompson, Sarah L
Whalley, Helen J
Townsend, Paul A
Taylor, Stephen S
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester Cancer Research Centre, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4QL
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDeviating from the normal karyotype dramatically changes gene dosage, in turn decreasing the robustness of biological networks. Consequently, aneuploidy is poorly tolerated by normal somatic cells and acts as a barrier to transformation. Paradoxically, however, karyotype heterogeneity drives tumor evolution and the emergence of therapeutic drug resistance. To better understand how cancer cells tolerate aneuploidy, we focused on the p38 stress response kinase. We show here that p38-deficient cells upregulate glycolysis and avoid post-mitotic apoptosis, leading to the emergence of aneuploid subclones. We also show that p38 deficiency upregulates the hypoxia-inducible transcription factor Hif-1? and that inhibiting Hif-1? restores apoptosis in p38-deficent cells. Because hypoxia and aneuploidy are both barriers to tumor progression, the ability of Hif-1? to promote cell survival following chromosome missegregation raises the possibility that aneuploidy tolerance coevolves with adaptation to hypoxia.
CitationSimoes-Sousa S, Littler S, Thompson SL, Minshall P, Whalley H, Bakker B, et al. The p38 alpha stress kinase suppresses aneuploidy tolerance by inhibiting Hif-1 alpha. Cell Rep. 2018 Oct 16;25(3):749-60 e6.
- Wortmannin influences hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha expression and glycolysis in esophageal carcinoma cells.
- Authors: Zeng L, Zhou HY, Tang NN, Zhang WF, He GJ, Hao B, Feng YD, Zhu H
- Issue date: 2016 May 28
- Sevoflurane suppresses hypoxia-induced growth and metastasis of lung cancer cells via inhibiting hypoxia-inducible factor-1α.
- Authors: Liang H, Yang CX, Zhang B, Wang HB, Liu HZ, Lai XH, Liao MJ, Zhang T
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Knockdown of KLF5 suppresses hypoxia-induced resistance to cisplatin in NSCLC cells by regulating HIF-1α-dependent glycolysis through inactivation of the PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway.
- Authors: Gong T, Cui L, Wang H, Wang H, Han N
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 14
- Wogonin reverses hypoxia resistance of human colon cancer HCT116 cells via downregulation of HIF-1α and glycolysis, by inhibiting PI3K/Akt signaling pathway.
- Authors: Wang H, Zhao L, Zhu LT, Wang Y, Pan D, Yao J, You QD, Guo QL
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- RPS7 inhibits colorectal cancer growth via decreasing HIF-1α-mediated glycolysis.
- Authors: Zhang W, Tong D, Liu F, Li D, Li J, Cheng X, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 2