Germline variation at 8q24 and prostate cancer risk in men of European ancestry.
West, Catharine ML
AffiliationDepartment of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California/Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA, 90033, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChromosome 8q24 is a susceptibility locus for multiple cancers, including prostate cancer. Here we combine genetic data across the 8q24 susceptibility region from 71,535 prostate cancer cases and 52,935 controls of European ancestry to define the overall contribution of germline variation at 8q24 to prostate cancer risk. We identify 12 independent risk signals for prostate cancer (p?<?4.28?×?10-15), including three risk variants that have yet to be reported. From a polygenic risk score (PRS) model, derived to assess the cumulative effect of risk variants at 8q24, men in the top 1% of the PRS have a 4-fold (95%CI?=?3.62-4.40) greater risk compared to the population average. These 12 variants account for ~25% of what can be currently explained of the familial risk of prostate cancer by known genetic risk factors. These findings highlight the overwhelming contribution of germline variation at 8q24 on prostate cancer risk which has implications for population risk stratification.
CitationMatejcic M, Saunders EJ, Dadaev T, Brook MN, Wang K, Sheng X, et al. Germline variation at 8q24 and prostate cancer risk in men of European ancestry. Nat Commun. 2018 Nov 5;9(1):4616.
- Association between two unlinked loci at 8q24 and prostate cancer risk among European Americans.
- Authors: Zheng SL, Sun J, Cheng Y, Li G, Hsu FC, Zhu Y, Chang BL, Liu W, Kim JW, Turner AR, Gielzak M, Yan G, Isaacs SD, Wiley KE, Sauvageot J, Chen HS, Gurganus R, Mangold LA, Trock BJ, Gronberg H, Duggan D, Carpten JD, Partin AW, Walsh PC, Xu J, Isaacs WB
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 17
- Results from a prostate cancer admixture mapping study in African-American men.
- Authors: Bock CH, Schwartz AG, Ruterbusch JJ, Levin AM, Neslund-Dudas C, Land SJ, Wenzlaff AS, Reich D, McKeigue P, Chen W, Heath EI, Powell IJ, Kittles RA, Rybicki BA
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Confirmation study of prostate cancer risk variants at 8q24 in African Americans identifies a novel risk locus.
- Authors: Robbins C, Torres JB, Hooker S, Bonilla C, Hernandez W, Candreva A, Ahaghotu C, Kittles R, Carpten J
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- 8q24 genetic variation and comprehensive haplotypes altering familial risk of prostate cancer.
- Authors: Dupont WD, Breyer JP, Plummer WD, Chang SS, Cookson MS, Smith JA, University of Washington Center for Mendelian Genomics., Blue EE, Bamshad MJ, Smith JR
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 23
- Chromosome 8q24 variants are associated with prostate cancer risk in a high risk population of African ancestry.
- Authors: Okobia MN, Zmuda JM, Ferrell RE, Patrick AL, Bunker CH
- Issue date: 2011 Jul