Second round results from the Manchester 'Lung Health Check' community-based targeted lung cancer screening pilot
AffiliationManchester Thoracic Oncology Centre, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report results from the second annual screening round (T1) of Manchester's 'Lung Health Check' pilot of community-based lung cancer screening in deprived areas (undertaken June to August 2017). Screening adherence was 90% (n=1194/1323): 92% of CT scans were classified negative, 6% indeterminate and 2.5% positive; there were no interval cancers. Lung cancer incidence was 1.6% (n=19), 79% stage I, treatments included surgery (42%, n=9), stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (26%, n=5) and radical radiotherapy (5%, n=1). False-positive rate was 34.5% (n=10/29), representing 0.8% of T1 participants (n=10/1194). Targeted community-based lung cancer screening promotes high screening adherence and detects high rates of early stage lung cancer.
CitationCrosbie PA, Balata H, Evison M, Atack M, Bayliss-Brideaux V, Colligan D, et al. Second round results from the Manchester 'Lung Health Check' community-based targeted lung cancer screening pilot. Thorax. 2018 Nov 12.
- Implementing lung cancer screening: baseline results from a community-based 'Lung Health Check' pilot in deprived areas of Manchester.
- Authors: Crosbie PA, Balata H, Evison M, Atack M, Bayliss-Brideaux V, Colligan D, Duerden R, Eaglesfield J, Edwards T, Elton P, Foster J, Greaves M, Hayler G, Higgins C, Howells J, Irion K, Karunaratne D, Kelly J, King Z, Manson S, Mellor S, Miller D, Myerscough A, Newton T, O'Leary M, Pearson R, Pickford J, Sawyer R, Screaton NJ, Sharman A, Simmons M, Smith E, Taylor B, Taylor S, Walsham A, Watts A, Whittaker J, Yarnell L, Threlfall A, Barber PV, Tonge J, Booton R
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Attendees of Manchester's Lung Health Check pilot express a preference for community-based lung cancer screening.
- Authors: Balata H, Tonge J, Barber PV, Colligan D, Elton P, Evison M, Kirwan M, Novasio J, Sharman A, Slevin K, Taylor S, Waplington S, Booton R, Crosbie PA
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- The cost-effectiveness of the Manchester 'lung health checks', a community-based lung cancer low-dose CT screening pilot.
- Authors: Hinde S, Crilly T, Balata H, Bartlett R, Crilly J, Barber P, Threlfall A, Tonge J, Booton R, Crosbie PA
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- UK Lung Cancer RCT Pilot Screening Trial: baseline findings from the screening arm provide evidence for the potential implementation of lung cancer screening.
- Authors: Field JK, Duffy SW, Baldwin DR, Whynes DK, Devaraj A, Brain KE, Eisen T, Gosney J, Green BA, Holemans JA, Kavanagh T, Kerr KM, Ledson M, Lifford KJ, McRonald FE, Nair A, Page RD, Parmar MK, Rassl DM, Rintoul RC, Screaton NJ, Wald NJ, Weller D, Williamson PR, Yadegarfar G, Hansell DM
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Randomized study on early detection of lung cancer with MSCT in Germany: study design and results of the first screening round.
- Authors: Becker N, Motsch E, Gross ML, Eigentopf A, Heussel CP, Dienemann H, Schnabel PA, Pilz L, Eichinger M, Optazaite DE, Puderbach M, Tremper J, Delorme S
- Issue date: 2012 Sep