Second round results from the Manchester 'Lung Health Check' community-based targeted lung cancer screening pilot
AffiliationManchester Thoracic Oncology Centre, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report results from the second annual screening round (T1) of Manchester's 'Lung Health Check' pilot of community-based lung cancer screening in deprived areas (undertaken June to August 2017). Screening adherence was 90% (n=1194/1323): 92% of CT scans were classified negative, 6% indeterminate and 2.5% positive; there were no interval cancers. Lung cancer incidence was 1.6% (n=19), 79% stage I, treatments included surgery (42%, n=9), stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (26%, n=5) and radical radiotherapy (5%, n=1). False-positive rate was 34.5% (n=10/29), representing 0.8% of T1 participants (n=10/1194). Targeted community-based lung cancer screening promotes high screening adherence and detects high rates of early stage lung cancer.
CitationCrosbie PA, Balata H, Evison M, Atack M, Bayliss-Brideaux V, Colligan D, et al. Second round results from the Manchester 'Lung Health Check' community-based targeted lung cancer screening pilot. Thorax. 2018 Nov 12.
- Attendees of Manchester's Lung Health Check pilot express a preference for community-based lung cancer screening.
- Authors: Balata H, Tonge J, Barber PV, Colligan D, Elton P, Evison M, Kirwan M, Novasio J, Sharman A, Slevin K, Taylor S, Waplington S, Booton R, Crosbie PA
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 3
- Implementing lung cancer screening: baseline results from a community-based 'Lung Health Check' pilot in deprived areas of Manchester.
- Authors: Crosbie PA, Balata H, Evison M, Atack M, Bayliss-Brideaux V, Colligan D, Duerden R, Eaglesfield J, Edwards T, Elton P, Foster J, Greaves M, Hayler G, Higgins C, Howells J, Irion K, Karunaratne D, Kelly J, King Z, Manson S, Mellor S, Miller D, Myerscough A, Newton T, O'Leary M, Pearson R, Pickford J, Sawyer R, Screaton NJ, Sharman A, Simmons M, Smith E, Taylor B, Taylor S, Walsham A, Watts A, Whittaker J, Yarnell L, Threlfall A, Barber PV, Tonge J, Booton R
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Detection of lung cancer through low-dose CT screening (NELSON): a prespecified analysis of screening test performance and interval cancers.
- Authors: Horeweg N, Scholten ET, de Jong PA, van der Aalst CM, Weenink C, Lammers JW, Nackaerts K, Vliegenthart R, ten Haaf K, Yousaf-Khan UA, Heuvelmans MA, Thunnissen E, Oudkerk M, Mali W, de Koning HJ
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Differences in Patient Outcomes of Prevalence, Interval, and Screen-Detected Lung Cancers in the CT Arm of the National Lung Screening Trial.
- Authors: Schabath MB, Massion PP, Thompson ZJ, Eschrich SA, Balagurunathan Y, Goldof D, Aberle DR, Gillies RJ
- Issue date: 2016
- Results of the two incidence screenings in the National Lung Screening Trial.
- Authors: Aberle DR, DeMello S, Berg CD, Black WC, Brewer B, Church TR, Clingan KL, Duan F, Fagerstrom RM, Gareen IF, Gatsonis CA, Gierada DS, Jain A, Jones GC, Mahon I, Marcus PM, Rathmell JM, Sicks J, National Lung Screening Trial Research Team.
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 5