Quality of life in metastatic pancreatic cancer patients receiving liposomal irinotecan plus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin.
AuthorsHubner, Richard A
Von Hoff, DD
de Jong, FA
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, 550 Wilmslow Rd, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: The NAPOLI-1 study (NCT01494506) reported that liposomal irinotecan plus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin (nal-IRI+5-FU/LV) improved overall survival vs 5-FU/LV with manageable toxicity in patients with metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma previously treated with gemcitabine-based therapy. Yet, clinicians need treatment strategies that also maintain the patient's health-related quality of life (HRQOL). Here, we report the HRQOL data. METHODS: Patients completed the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer QOL core questionnaire C30 (EORTC QLQ-C30) at baseline, every 6 weeks, and at 30 days after discontinuation of study treatment. Patient-reported outcomes (PROs) were scored according to EORTC guidelines. nal-IRI+5-FU/LV HRQOL was compared with 5-FU/LV. The PRO population comprised intent-to-treat patients who completed baseline and at least one subsequent assessment on the EORTC QLQ-C30. Data were also analysed for missingness. RESULTS: Of 236 patients in the intent-to-treat population, 128 (54.2%) comprised the PRO population (71 in the nal-IRI+5-FU/LV arm; 57 the in 5-FU/LV arm). Of the remaining 108 patients (45.8%) not included in the PRO population, most progressed rapidly, making participation difficult. Median change from baseline was ?10 points at weeks 6 and 12 in global health status or functional and symptom scale scores, except for fatigue, which deteriorated by 11.1 points with nal-IRI+5-FU/LV but did not change vs 5-FU/LV. The proportion of patients whose HRQOL improved or deteriorated was not significantly different between the arms. CONCLUSION: In the NAPOLI-1 study, HRQOL was maintained with nal-IRI+5-FU/LV in patients with metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma previously treated with a gemcitabine-based regimen, while survival was significantly extended.
CitationHubner RA, Cubillo A, Blanc JF, Melisi D, Von Hoff DD, Wang-Gillam A, et al. Quality of life in metastatic pancreatic cancer patients receiving liposomal irinotecan plus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin. Eur J Cancer. 2018 Nov 17;106:24-33.
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- NAPOLI-1 phase 3 study of liposomal irinotecan in metastatic pancreatic cancer: Final overall survival analysis and characteristics of long-term survivors.
- Authors: Wang-Gillam A, Hubner RA, Siveke JT, Von Hoff DD, Belanger B, de Jong FA, Mirakhur B, Chen LT
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Survival with nal-IRI (liposomal irinotecan) plus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin versus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin in per-protocol and non-per-protocol populations of NAPOLI-1: Expanded analysis of a global phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Chen LT, Siveke JT, Wang-Gillam A, Li CP, Bodoky G, Dean AP, Shan YS, Jameson GS, Macarulla T, Lee KH, Cunningham D, Blanc JF, Chiu CF, Schwartsmann G, Braiteh FS, Mamlouk K, Belanger B, de Jong FA, Hubner RA
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Liposomal irinotecan in metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma in Asian patients: Subgroup analysis of the NAPOLI-1 study.
- Authors: Bang YJ, Li CP, Lee KH, Chiu CF, Park JO, Shan YS, Kim JS, Chen JS, Shim HJ, Rau KM, Choi HJ, Oh DY, Belanger B, Chen LT
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Liposomal irinotecan and 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin in older patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer - A subgroup analysis of the pivotal NAPOLI-1 trial.
- Authors: Macarulla T, Blanc JF, Wang-Gillam A, Chen LT, Siveke JT, Mirakhur B, Chen J, de Jong FA
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Nanoliposomal irinotecan with fluorouracil for the treatment of advanced pancreatic cancer, a single institution experience.
- Authors: Glassman DC, Palmaira RL, Covington CM, Desai AM, Ku GY, Li J, Harding JJ, Varghese AM, O'Reilly EM, Yu KH
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 27