Early human hemogenic endothelium generates primitive and definitive hematopoiesis in vitro.
Fadlullah, Muhammad Z H
AffiliationDevelopmental Haematopoiesis Group, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, The University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe differentiation of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) to hematopoietic lineages initiates with the specification of hemogenic endothelium, a transient specialized endothelial precursor of all blood cells. This in vitro system provides an invaluable model to dissect the emergence of hematopoiesis in humans. However, the study of hematopoiesis specification is hampered by a lack of consensus in the timing of hemogenic endothelium analysis and the full hematopoietic potential of this population. Here, our data reveal a sharp decline in the hemogenic potential of endothelium populations isolated over the course of hESC differentiation. Furthermore, by tracking the dynamic expression of CD31 and CD235a at the onset of hematopoiesis, we identified three populations of hematopoietic progenitors, representing primitive and definitive subsets that all emerge from the earliest specified hemogenic endothelium. Our data establish that hemogenic endothelium populations endowed with primitive and definitive hematopoietic potential are specified simultaneously from the mesoderm in differentiating hESCs.
CitationGarcia-Alegria E, Menegatti S, Fadlullah MZH, Menendez P, Lacaud G, Kouskoff V. Early human hemogenic endothelium generates primitive and definitive hematopoiesis in vitro. Stem Cell Reports. 2018 Nov 13;11(5):1061-74.
JournalStem Cell Reports
- Directed differentiation of definitive hemogenic endothelium and hematopoietic progenitors from human pluripotent stem cells.
- Authors: Ditadi A, Sturgeon CM
- Issue date: 2016 May 15
- Cytokine-free directed differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells efficiently produces hemogenic endothelium with lymphoid potential.
- Authors: Galat Y, Dambaeva S, Elcheva I, Khanolkar A, Beaman K, Iannaccone PM, Galat V
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 17
- ETV2 expression marks blood and endothelium precursors, including hemogenic endothelium, at the onset of blood development.
- Authors: Wareing S, Eliades A, Lacaud G, Kouskoff V
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Targeted Disruption of TCF12 Reveals HEB as Essential in Human Mesodermal Specification and Hematopoiesis.
- Authors: Li Y, Brauer PM, Singh J, Xhiku S, Yoganathan K, Zúñiga-Pflücker JC, Anderson MK
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 12
- Hemangioblast, hemogenic endothelium, and primitive versus definitive hematopoiesis.
- Authors: Lacaud G, Kouskoff V
- Issue date: 2017 May