Lorigan, Paul C
van der Graaf, W
AffiliationClinical and Epidemiological Research Unit, Institut Bergonie, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Bordeaux cedex 33076, France
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Alternative endpoints to overall survival (OS) are frequently used to assess treatment efficacy in randomized controlled trials (RCT). Their properties in terms of surrogate outcomes for OS need to be assessed. We evaluated the surrogate properties of progression-free survival (PFS), time-to-progression (TTP) and time-to-treatment failure (TTF) in advanced soft tissue sarcomas (STS). RESULTS: A total of 21 trials originally met the selection criteria and 14 RCTs (N = 2846) were included in the analysis. Individual-level associations were moderate (highest for 12-month PFS: Spearman's rho = 0.66; 95% CI [0.63; 0.68]). Trial-level associations were ranked as low for the three endpoints as per the IQWiG criterion. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We performed a meta-analysis using individual-patient data (IPD). Phase II/III RCTs evaluating therapies for adults with advanced STS were eligible. We estimated the individual- and the trial-level associations between then candidate surrogates and OS. Statistical methods included weighted linear regression and the two-stage model introduced by Buyse and Burzykowski. The strength of the trial-level association was ranked according to the German Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG) guidelines. CONCLUSIONS: Our results do not support strong surrogate properties of PFS, TTP and TTF for OS in advanced STS.
CitationSavina M, Liti�re S, Italiano A, Burzykowski T, Bonnetain F, Gourgou S, et al. Surrogate endpoints in advanced sarcoma trials: a meta-analysis. Oncotarget. 2018 Sep 18;9(77).
- Surrogacy of intermediate endpoints for overall survival in randomized controlled trials of first-line treatment for advanced soft tissue sarcoma in the pre- and post-pazopanib era: a meta-analytic evaluation.
- Authors: Tanaka K, Kawano M, Iwasaki T, Itonaga I, Tsumura H
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 11
- Tumor response and progression-free survival as potential surrogate endpoints for overall survival in extensive stage small-cell lung cancer: findings on the basis of North Central Cancer Treatment Group trials.
- Authors: Foster NR, Qi Y, Shi Q, Krook JE, Kugler JW, Jett JR, Molina JR, Schild SE, Adjei AA, Mandrekar SJ
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 15
- Meta-analyses evaluating surrogate endpoints for overall survival in cancer randomized trials: A critical review.
- Authors: Savina M, Gourgou S, Italiano A, Dinart D, Rondeau V, Penel N, Mathoulin-Pelissier S, Bellera C
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Validation of surrogate endpoints in advanced solid tumors: systematic review of statistical methods, results, and implications for policy makers.
- Authors: Ciani O, Davis S, Tappenden P, Garside R, Stein K, Cantrell A, Saad ED, Buyse M, Taylor RS
- Issue date: 2014 Jul