The role of biomarkers in bladder preservation management of muscle-invasive bladder cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Medicine, Knight Cancer Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatients with localized muscle-invasive bladder cancer (MIBC) can choose to undergo either neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by radical cystectomy or radiation therapy-based bladder preservation treatment modality with subsequent close cystoscopic surveillance with salvage cystectomy reserved for patients with evidence of local disease recurrence. At the present time, the decision regarding bladder-directed local therapy for MIBC is based on physicians' and patients' preferences, and does not take into account tumor biology. Predictive biomarkers, once validated, could offer a more patient-centered and biology-driven selection of bladder-directed therapies.
CitationThe role of biomarkers in bladder preservation management of muscle-invasive bladder cancer. 2018, World J Urol
JournalWorld Journal of Urology
- Critical analysis of bladder sparing with trimodal therapy in muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a systematic review.
- Authors: Ploussard G, Daneshmand S, Efstathiou JA, Herr HW, James ND, Rödel CM, Shariat SF, Shipley WU, Sternberg CN, Thalmann GN, Kassouf W
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Long-term outcomes in patients with muscle-invasive bladder cancer after selective bladder-preserving combined-modality therapy: a pooled analysis of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group protocols 8802, 8903, 9506, 9706, 9906, and 0233.
- Authors: Mak RH, Hunt D, Shipley WU, Efstathiou JA, Tester WJ, Hagan MP, Kaufman DS, Heney NM, Zietman AL
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 1
- Bladder preservation in the treatment of muscle-invasive bladder cancer (MIBC): a review of the literature and a practical approach to therapy.
- Authors: Smith ZL, Christodouleas JP, Keefe SM, Malkowicz SB, Guzzo TJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Long-term Outcomes After Bladder-preserving Tri-modality Therapy for Patients with Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer: An Updated Analysis of the Massachusetts General Hospital Experience.
- Authors: Giacalone NJ, Shipley WU, Clayman RH, Niemierko A, Drumm M, Heney NM, Michaelson MD, Lee RJ, Saylor PJ, Wszolek MF, Feldman AS, Dahl DM, Zietman AL, Efstathiou JA
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Using the neoadjuvant chemotherapy paradigm to develop precision therapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer.
- Authors: Chedgy EC, Douglas J, Wright JL, Seiler R, van Rhijn BW, Boormans J, Todenhöfer T, Dinney CP, Collins CC, Van der Heijden MS, Black PC
- Issue date: 2016 Oct