The role of biomarkers in bladder preservation management of muscle-invasive bladder cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Medicine, Knight Cancer Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatients with localized muscle-invasive bladder cancer (MIBC) can choose to undergo either neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by radical cystectomy or radiation therapy-based bladder preservation treatment modality with subsequent close cystoscopic surveillance with salvage cystectomy reserved for patients with evidence of local disease recurrence. At the present time, the decision regarding bladder-directed local therapy for MIBC is based on physicians' and patients' preferences, and does not take into account tumor biology. Predictive biomarkers, once validated, could offer a more patient-centered and biology-driven selection of bladder-directed therapies.
CitationThe role of biomarkers in bladder preservation management of muscle-invasive bladder cancer. 2018, World J Urol
JournalWorld Journal of Urology
- Bladder preservation in the treatment of muscle-invasive bladder cancer (MIBC): a review of the literature and a practical approach to therapy.
- Authors: Smith ZL, Christodouleas JP, Keefe SM, Malkowicz SB, Guzzo TJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Using the neoadjuvant chemotherapy paradigm to develop precision therapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer.
- Authors: Chedgy EC, Douglas J, Wright JL, Seiler R, van Rhijn BW, Boormans J, Todenhöfer T, Dinney CP, Collins CC, Van der Heijden MS, Black PC
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Genomic Differences Between "Primary" and "Secondary" Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer as a Basis for Disparate Outcomes to Cisplatin-based Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy.
- Authors: Pietzak EJ, Zabor EC, Bagrodia A, Armenia J, Hu W, Zehir A, Funt S, Audenet F, Barron D, Maamouri N, Li Q, Teo MY, Arcila ME, Berger MF, Schultz N, Dalbagni G, Herr HW, Bajorin DF, Rosenberg JE, Al-Ahmadie H, Bochner BH, Solit DB, Iyer G
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Long-term outcomes in patients with muscle-invasive bladder cancer after selective bladder-preserving combined-modality therapy: a pooled analysis of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group protocols 8802, 8903, 9506, 9706, 9906, and 0233.
- Authors: Mak RH, Hunt D, Shipley WU, Efstathiou JA, Tester WJ, Hagan MP, Kaufman DS, Heney NM, Zietman AL
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 1
- Prognostic Implications of Immunohistochemical Biomarkers in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer and Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Authors: Boegemann M, Krabbe LM
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 15