Short communication: management of patients with extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer treated with radiotherapy: a survey of practice.
De Ruysscher, D
AffiliationManchester Cancer Research Centre, Division of Cancer Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Biology Medicine & Health, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe results of the randomized phase 3 CREST trial evaluating the use of thoracic radiotherapy for extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer (ES-SCLC) were published in the Lancet in 2015. The primary endpoint (10% overall survival difference at 1-year) was not achieved, but there was significant improvement in 2-year overall survival (13% vs 3%; p = 0.004) and low toxicity rates, suggesting thoracic radiotherapy should be considered for ES-SCLC patients who respond to chemotherapy. Questions have been raised as to whether these results will lead to a change in practice.
CitationShort communication: management of patients with extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer treated with radiotherapy: a survey of practice. 2018, 17: 18-22 Cancer Treat Res Commun
JournalCancer Treatment and Research Communications
- Which patients with ES-SCLC are most likely to benefit from more aggressive radiotherapy: A secondary analysis of the Phase III CREST trial.
- Authors: Slotman BJ, Faivre-Finn C, van Tinteren H, Keijser A, Praag J, Knegjens J, Hatton M, van Dam I, van der Leest A, Reymen B, Stigt J, Haslett K, Tripathi D, Smit EF, Senan S
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Current patterns of care for patients with extensive stage small cell lung cancer: Survey of US radiation oncologists on their recommendations regarding thoracic consolidation radiotherapy.
- Authors: Mitin T, Jain A, Degnin C, Chen Y, Henderson M, Thomas CR Jr
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Practice Patterns of Thoracic Radiotherapy for Extensive-Stage Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Survey of US Academic Thoracic Radiation Oncologists.
- Authors: Post CM, Verma V, Mitin T, Simone CB 2nd
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Guideline for the Initial Management of Small Cell Lung Cancer (Limited and Extensive Stage) and the Role of Thoracic Radiotherapy and First-line Chemotherapy.
- Authors: Sun A, Durocher-Allen LD, Ellis PM, Ung YC, Goffin JR, Ramchandar K, Darling G
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Radiation therapy in small cell lung cancer: a national Italian survey.
- Authors: Ciammella P, Timon G, Bruni A, Franceschini D, Borghetti P, Giaj-Levra N, Greco C, Scotti V, Trovo M, On the behalf of Associazione Italiana Radioterapia Oncologica (AIRO).
- Issue date: 2018 Jul