Lung colonization by Aspergillus fumigatus is controlled by ZNF77.
AffiliationManchester Fungal Infection Group, Division of Infection, Immunity and Respiratory Medicine, University of Manchester, CTF Building, 46 Grafton Street, Manchester, M13 9NT
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAspergillus fumigatus is a critical pathogen of humans. Exposure to A. fumigatus conidia occurs frequently but is normally cleared from the respiratory airways. In contrast, individuals with respiratory diseases are often highly colonized by fungi. Here, we use genome-edited epithelial cells to show that the genetic variant rs35699176 in ZNF77 causes loss of integrity of the bronchial epithelium and increases levels of extracellular matrix proteins. These changes promote A. fumigatus conidial adhesion, germination and growth. RNA-seq and LC/MS-MS analysis reveal rs35699176 upregulates vesicle trafficking leading to an increment of adhesion proteins. These changes make cells carrying rs35699176 more receptive to A. fumigatus in the early stages of infection. Moreover, patients with fungal asthma carrying rs35699176+/- have higher A. fumigatus loads in their respiratory airway. Our results indicate ZNF77 as a key controller of Aspergillus colonization and suggest its utility as a risk-marker for patient stratification.
CitationLung colonization by Aspergillus fumigatus is controlled by ZNF77. 2018, 9(1): 3835 Nat Commun
- Elimination of Aspergillus fumigatus conidia from the airways of mice with allergic airway inflammation.
- Authors: Shevchenko MA, Bolkhovitina EL, Servuli EA, Sapozhnikov AM
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 27
- Aspergillus fumigatus Cell Wall Promotes Apical Airway Epithelial Recruitment of Human Neutrophils.
- Authors: Feldman MB, Dutko RA, Wood MA, Ward RA, Leung HM, Snow RF, De La Flor DJ, Yonker LM, Reedy JL, Tearney GJ, Mou H, Hurley BP, Vyas JM
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 22
- An inhalation model of airway allergic response to inhalation of environmental Aspergillus fumigatus conidia in sensitized BALB/c mice.
- Authors: Hoselton SA, Samarasinghe AE, Seydel JM, Schuh JM
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Antifungal and airway remodeling roles for murine monocyte chemoattractant protein-1/CCL2 during pulmonary exposure to Asperigillus fumigatus conidia.
- Authors: Blease K, Mehrad B, Lukacs NW, Kunkel SL, Standiford TJ, Hogaboam CM
- Issue date: 2001 Feb 1
- Identification and characterization of a laminin-binding protein of Aspergillus fumigatus: extracellular thaumatin domain protein (AfCalAp).
- Authors: Upadhyay SK, Mahajan L, Ramjee S, Singh Y, Basir SF, Madan T
- Issue date: 2009 Jun