The role of targeted agents and immunotherapy in older patients with non-small cell lung cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, 550 Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLung cancer is predominantly a disease of the elderly. This subgroup of patients poses many challenges and an appropriate geriatric assessment is crucial for treatment personalisation in order to reduce the risk of over- or under-treatment. Whilst cytotoxic chemotherapy has been the backbone of advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treatment for decades, the development of targeted agents for driver mutations such as EGFR, ALK, BRAF and ROS1 has changed the treatment paradigm and natural history of this disease. More recently, the development of immune checkpoint inhibitors has revolutionised treatment for a larger group of patients with locally advanced/metastatic disease. Limited data exist on safety and efficacy of these agents in the elderly population. Many questions remain regarding the available evidence for targeted therapies and immune checkpoint blockade in NSCLC and, in particular, their role in this subgroup of patients.
CitationThe role of targeted agents and immunotherapy in older patients with non-small cell lung cancer. 2018, 35(9): 819-834 Drugs Aging
JournalDrugs & Aging
- Treatment of elderly patients or patients who are performance status 2 (PS2) with advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer without epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) mutations and anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) translocations - Still a daily challenge.
- Authors: Su C, Zhou F, Shen J, Zhao J, O'Brien M
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Molecular Mechanisms and Targeted Therapies Including Immunotherapy for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Nagano T, Tachihara M, Nishimura Y
- Issue date: 2019
- Immunotherapy in NSCLC: A Promising and Revolutionary Weapon.
- Authors: Rolfo C, Caglevic C, Santarpia M, Araujo A, Giovannetti E, Gallardo CD, Pauwels P, Mahave M
- Issue date: 2017
- Immune checkpoint inhibitors in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): Approaches on special subgroups and unresolved burning questions.
- Authors: Remon J, Vilariño N, Reguart N
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Immunosenescence and immunecheckpoint inhibitors in non-small cell lung cancer patients: Does age really matter?
- Authors: Ferrara R, Mezquita L, Auclin E, Chaput N, Besse B
- Issue date: 2017 Nov