Validating a Monte Carlo approach to absolute dose quality assurance for proton pencil beam scanning.
Aitkenhead, Adam H
AffiliationPaul Scherrer Institut, Villigen, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFor radiotherapy, it is crucial to guarantee that the delivered dose matches the planned dose. Therefore, patient specific quality assurance (QA) of absolute dose distributions is necessary. Here, we investigate the potential of replacing patient specific QA for pencil beam scanned proton therapy with Monte Carlo simulations. First, the set-up of the automated Monte Carlo model is presented with an emphasis on the absolute dose validation. Second, the absolute dose results obtained from the Monte Carlo simulation for a comprehensive set of patient fields are compared to patient specific QA measurements. Absolute doses measured with the Farmer chamber are shown to be 1.4% higher than the doses measured with the Semiflex chamber. For single energy layers, Monte Carlo simulated doses are 2.1% ± 0.4% lower than the ones measured with the ionization chamber and 1.1% ± 1.0% lower than measurements compared to patient field verification measurements. After rescaling to account for this 1.1% discrepancy, 98 fields (94.2%) agree within 2% to measurements, the maximum difference being 2.3%. In conclusion, an automated, easy-to-use Monte Carlo calculation system has been set up. This system reproduced patient specific QA results over a wide range of cases, showing that the time consuming measurements could be reduced or even replaced using Monte Carlo simulations without jeopardizing treatment quality.
CitationValidating a Monte Carlo approach to absolute dose quality assurance for proton pencil beam scanning. 2018, 63(17): 175001 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Experimental validation of the TOPAS Monte Carlo system for passive scattering proton therapy.
- Authors: Testa M, Schümann J, Lu HM, Shin J, Faddegon B, Perl J, Paganetti H
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Log file based Monte Carlo calculations for proton pencil beam scanning therapy.
- Authors: Winterhalter C, Meier G, Oxley D, Weber DC, Lomax AJ, Safai S
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 29
- Validation and clinical implementation of an accurate Monte Carlo code for pencil beam scanning proton therapy.
- Authors: Huang S, Kang M, Souris K, Ainsley C, Solberg TD, McDonough JE, Simone CB 2nd, Lin L
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- An algorithm to assess the need for clinical Monte Carlo dose calculation for small proton therapy fields based on quantification of tissue heterogeneity.
- Authors: Bueno M, Paganetti H, Duch MA, Schuemann J
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Clinical implementation of full Monte Carlo dose calculation in proton beam therapy.
- Authors: Paganetti H, Jiang H, Parodi K, Slopsema R, Engelsman M
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 7