Effects of thyroid hormones on thermogenesis and energy partitioning.
AffiliationMedizinische Klinik IExperimentelle und Klinische Endokrinologie, Universität zu Lübeck, Lübeck
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThyroid hormones (TH) are of central importance for thermogenesis, energy homeostasis and metabolism. Here, we will discuss these aspects by focussing on the physiological aspects of TH-dependent regulation in response to cold exposure and fasting, which will be compared to alterations in primary hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. In particular, we will summarise current knowledge on regional thyroid hormone status in the central nervous system (CNS) and in peripheral cells. In contrast to hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, where parallel changes are observed, local alterations in the CNS differ to peripheral compartments when induced by cold exposure or fasting. Cold exposure is associated with low hypothalamic TH concentrations but increased TH levels in the periphery. Fasting results in a reversed TH pattern. Primary hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism disrupt these fine-tuned adaptive mechanisms and both, the hypothalamus and the periphery, will have the same TH status. These important mechanisms need to be considered when discussing thyroid hormone replacement and other therapeutical interventions to modulate TH status.
CitationEffects of thyroid hormones on thermogenesis and energy partitioning. 2018, 60(3): R157-R170 J Mol Endocrinol
JournalJournal of Molecular Endocrinology
- Administration of Thyrotropin-Releasing Hormone in the Hypothalamic Paraventricular Nucleus of Male Rats Mimics the Metabolic Cold Defense Response.
- Authors: Zhang Z, Machado F, Zhao L, Heinen CA, Foppen E, Ackermans MT, Zhou J, Bisschop PH, Boelen A, Fliers E, Kalsbeek A
- Issue date: 2018
- Thyroid hormones and browning of adipose tissue.
- Authors: Weiner J, Hankir M, Heiker JT, Fenske W, Krause K
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 15
- Variable Cold-Induced Brown Adipose Tissue Response to Thyroid Hormone Status.
- Authors: Gavrila A, Hasselgren PO, Glasgow A, Doyle AN, Lee AJ, Fox P, Gautam S, Hennessey JV, Kolodny GM, Cypess AM
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Thyroid hormone status affects expression of daily torpor and gene transcription in Djungarian hamsters (Phodopus sungorus).
- Authors: Bank JH, Kemmling J, Rijntjes E, Wirth EK, Herwig A
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Resolution of Hypothyroidism Restores Cold-Induced Thermogenesis in Humans.
- Authors: Maushart CI, Loeliger R, Gashi G, Christ-Crain M, Betz MJ
- Issue date: 2019 Apr